can I replace just the inside knob?

Old 08-08-04, 07:52 PM
jenvietas
Visiting Guest
can I replace just the inside knob?

THe "gold tone" finish is scratched and ugly on the knobs and thumbturns on the interior side of my front and back doors. The outside brass hardware looks fine (after a little polish) and I dont really want/need to replace the locks. Can I replace just the knob and thumbturn? I can only seem to find "sets" with an inside and an outside knob. The back doors are kwikset and the front is DEXTER. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-04, 08:27 AM
hakker
Visiting Guest
Hmm, im pretty sure you are able to replace just the interior knob as long as you buy a knob of the same brand, model, etc.
You'll probably end up buying the knob in a full package (package with interior and outer knobs). Im not sure if they sell interior knobs separately. But if you do buy a full package you might as well replace both knobs.

Old 08-10-04, 06:42 AM
I concur with Hakker,especially with the low end brands you have, usually a major part costs as much as a whole lock. Some manufacturers now have a lifetime finish warranty on their newer locks. The other problem is sometimes the design may change so the newer parts may not fit with older ones so you are back to replacing the whole set.

www.kwikset.com has a parts search which does not seem to be working when I looked.

Dexter is now a Schlage brand http://www.dexterbyschlage.com/literature.asp

Old 08-10-04, 08:48 AM
jenvietas
Visiting Guest
THanks

thanks for the info! I was hoping that I could just find inexpensive knobs, but I figured I would have to jsut replace the whole thing.