Key broken off in dead bolt

Old 08-12-04, 08:37 AM
OSUcowboys
Visiting Guest
Key broken off in dead bolt

I have a double sided deadbolt in the house we just bought with a key broken off in it. Does anyone have any creative advice for getting it out????? I have tried needle nose etc.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-04, 11:32 AM
If enough of the key is exposed you could drill a small hole in it and bind it while pulling out. A filed down coping saw blade or bent paper clip, slid along the side, may be able to hook it if enough room. I believe some folks have used a dab of super glue on the end of a toothpick. Be careful-if you get glue on the inner workings-you will be in worse shape then you are now.

If all those fail, locksmiths have special tools made to extract keys.

Old 08-13-04, 10:11 AM
hakker
Visiting Guest
They're called broken key extractors. They're not anything special, you can get them just about anyplace you get lockpicks. My local locksmithing store has them for sale...

Putting glue/superglue on the end sounds like a good idea, you can try that, should work. You should only call a locksmith as a last desperate resort, they usually cost a hefty price, and a lot of them try to trick you into doing something completely pointless, such as replace the whole lock.

Old 08-13-04, 11:22 AM
a lot of them try to trick you into doing something completely pointless, such as replace the whole lock.
You must have a lot of crooks in your neck of the woods, Hakker.

Old 08-13-04, 07:39 PM
WGW
Hi OSUcowboys;

I'll assume that you can still unlock the door seeing that it's a double cylinder.

Open the door, then take out the two connecting screws on the inside cylinder (note the proper rotation of the tail pieces as you remove the cylinders so you can put it back together exactly as it comes apart). with the cylinder with the broken key in hand, you should be able to push the key out with a paper clip inserted from the back side.

Regards

hakker
"You should only call a locksmith as a last desperate resort, they usually cost a hefty price, and a lot of them try to trick you into doing something completely pointless, such as replace the whole lock."

Any Locksmiths I've ever talked with charge nominally in comparasine with most other serviceman providing a home service.
Yes, there ARE Locksmiths out there who will try to sell you what you don't really need, but thankfully, they are a minority. Locksmiths in general, are moral people. None that I know of are paid commission on material sold, so there is no motivation to rip off the customer.
You will learn this is true as you progress through your locksmith training.

Old 08-14-04, 08:04 AM
hakker
Visiting Guest
Hmm, i guess it's just the smith that lives around my area. Sorry if i insulted any of the locksmiths on this site..

Old 08-14-04, 06:34 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow up and clarification hakker. I know of one locksmith that went bad in my town and was eventually arrested so it is of course possible, as with any service person. I think the problem was with your description "a lot of them" which sounds like the profession as a whole to me, as opposed to one in your area.

Old 10-01-04, 07:52 PM
mkemila
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by OSUcowboys
I have a double sided deadbolt in the house we just bought with a key broken off in it. Does anyone have any creative advice for getting it out????? I have tried needle nose etc.

Please help
If you have a hardware store nearby that sells a crude version of a dental pick ( they usually come in packs of 4 for about $5) It should take you about 30 seconds to remedy the problem. Avoid the superglue trick or your next posting maybe "how do I get a broken key AND something I glued in out of my lock )