Desperate and ready to resort to hacksaw!! HELP!

Old 08-19-04, 06:46 PM
hoosiermom
Visiting Guest
Desperate and ready to resort to hacksaw!! HELP!

I am replacing the locks on my front door (just moved in and old locks stick). I replaced dead bolt with no problems. Then I literally spent 4 hours trying to replace the handle. I CANNOT figure out how to remove the old hardware. There are NO visible screws and NO spring mechanism. I popped off the little shields/skirts thingys (don't know official name) on the inside and outside and out of sheer desperation ripped them off with a screwdriver and hammer hoping to uncover some hidden means of dismantling the handle. Still no luck. I tried inserting and wiggling, jiggling everthing I can think of: screwdrivers, hammer, paper clip, etc. It's a Sargent brand. That's all I know. PLEASE help me. I don't want to have to resort to the hacksaw.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-04, 11:09 AM
Some old Sargents have a hidden spring retainer. The plate ( rose) that holds it to the door needs to be backed off, on the type I am thinking of, they are threaded. Normally you would use a spanner wrench that fits in the small dimple on the rose. You can also use a pliers of some sort, especially since you are not saving them. Once the rose is backed off, a depression with a wire across it will be seen. Depressing this wire, which connects to a spring retainer will allow you to remove the knob.

Occaisonally the wire/ spring retainer will be stuck or fail. In this case you have to get at the retainer through the lockbody with a drill ( preferred) or use the hack saw.

Old 08-24-04, 11:03 AM
deep6blue
Visiting Guest
Had an old doorknob that I couldn't remove. The hacksaw was the best and easiest way to remove it.

The handle was cut off on the inside. The hardware was removed and the outside knob came off easily.

The hacksaw may just be your best friend in this situation!

Old 10-01-04, 08:00 PM
mkemila
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by hoosiermom
I am replacing the locks on my front door (just moved in and old locks stick). I replaced dead bolt with no problems. Then I literally spent 4 hours trying to replace the handle. I CANNOT figure out how to remove the old hardware. There are NO visible screws and NO spring mechanism. I popped off the little shields/skirts thingys (don't know official name) on the inside and outside and out of sheer desperation ripped them off with a screwdriver and hammer hoping to uncover some hidden means of dismantling the handle. Still no luck. I tried inserting and wiggling, jiggling everthing I can think of: screwdrivers, hammer, paper clip, etc. It's a Sargent brand. That's all I know. PLEASE help me. I don't want to have to resort to the hacksaw.
are there little indents on the door plate (inside plate around the edge)?