Replacing old handleset

Old 08-27-04, 10:35 AM
wquick
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing old handleset

Help! My husband and I had a locksmith come out to our new (old) home to re-key the locks, and the handleset on the front door was so old, the mechanism fell apart in his hands. He apologized but said there was nothing that could be done and we should replace it. I have bought a new handleset, however after removing the old one we noticed it had two holes cut out of the front (in addition to the dead bolt). Our new handleset only requires one hole. How do we "patch" or "fill" the second hole? It is about one inch in diameter. Thanks for any advice yall can provide!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Too bad the new set did not cover the old holes, that is always tidiest.

You could fill the hole partially with a piece/s of wood and then skim the surfaces to blend in with the door. This works especially good if the door is painted.

There is hardware made to cover holes but it would not look as good as blending with putty.

Old 10-01-04, 07:45 PM
mkemila
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by wquick
Help! My husband and I had a locksmith come out to our new (old) home to re-key the locks, and the handleset on the front door was so old, the mechanism fell apart in his hands. He apologized but said there was nothing that could be done and we should replace it. I have bought a new handleset, however after removing the old one we noticed it had two holes cut out of the front (in addition to the dead bolt). Our new handleset only requires one hole. How do we "patch" or "fill" the second hole? It is about one inch in diameter. Thanks for any advice yall can provide!

In many cases you can purchase an aftermarket lockplate....the plate behind the doorknob and deadbolt. There are many sizes available to cover this exact problem.