Keys don't work!

Old 09-18-04, 02:04 PM
Big Momma
Visiting Guest
Question Keys don't work!

All of a sudden, neither my key nor my husband's key work to get into our garage door. (We have a garage separate from the house). My husband used the clicker for the garage door opener from his car until he locked that one in the garage! A few days later, he managed to leave both his clicker and my clicker in the garage.

I have no clue what type of door lock we are dealing with. It really isn't too sophisticated, just a simple lock. It seems a little bit of highway robbery to have a locksmith come in for $40 for five minutes of getting the lock open! (I wish I made that kind of money! )

Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to try the chisel and hammer trick, my husband thinks I'll just end up breaking the door.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-04, 07:57 PM
sbdivemaster
Visiting Guest
If the hinges are on the outside, you could remove the pins to get into the garage.

After that, you could just rekey the lock. They sell cheap kits at home improvement stores.

Otherwise, you will need a locksmith to fix the problem with your keys not working.

Old 09-20-04, 09:00 AM
If you would have removed the lock and brought it in for repair before your hubby struck twice, you could have avoided the trip charge that covers overhead expenses and travel time.

Depending on what is wrong, you may very well have to destroy the lock to gain entry. Cutting, drilling or twisting usually causes less damage to the door then hammering.

The one other thing to try before drastic measures, is squirting some lubricant such as Triflow (or WD-40 in a pinch) into the keyway and work your key in and out. Sometime there will be a stuck pin that may loosen up enough to get it to turn. If this works, you should have the cylinder rebuilt.

Old 09-21-04, 06:18 PM
WGW
You did'nt say whether its a "walk in" door or the rollup door that your trying to get through.
Roll up doors often have a keyswitch on the outside for times like this. If that is the one not working, you should be able to remove the switch and just cross the two wires on the back to activate the opening motor. Then order a new switch as they're not usually repairable.

A "walk in" door Key rarely just up and quits working suddenly. It could be due to wear in the lock cylinder or worn keys or both, but as schiejr suggests, a shot of lubricant often resolves the lockout problem at least temporarily.

Quote: "It seems a little bit of highway robbery to have a locksmith come in for $40 for five minutes of getting the lock open!"

I feel the same way when my dentist charges me $160.00 to clean my teeth in a little over twenty minutes.
Or when my mechanic charges me $60. for a small adjustment.
But then again, I realise that I'm hiring someone who is an expert in thier particular field who charge by the hour, not the minute.

Regards

Old 10-01-04, 07:36 PM
mkemila
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Big Momma
All of a sudden, neither my key nor my husband's key work to get into our garage door. (We have a garage separate from the house). My husband used the clicker for the garage door opener from his car until he locked that one in the garage! A few days later, he managed to leave both his clicker and my clicker in the garage.

I have no clue what type of door lock we are dealing with. It really isn't too sophisticated, just a simple lock. It seems a little bit of highway robbery to have a locksmith come in for $40 for five minutes of getting the lock open! (I wish I made that kind of money! )

Does anyone have any ideas? I wanted to try the chisel and hammer trick, my husband thinks I'll just end up breaking the door.
Before you resort to a hammer.....is the lock frequently used or has it sat for a while? if it is dirty you may be able to free it up with a shot of WD40. Does the handle turn freely when it is unlocked of does it stick at any point....possibly hardware binding.....try pushing or pulling on the door while you turn the key....this may be all that is required.