Moved Home

Old 10-05-04, 02:20 AM
PARKERDJ
Visiting Guest
Moved Home

Hi,

I just moved house and I obviously wish to change the locks on all our doors. Last night I attempted to change the cylinder lock of the upvc door. I don't know the size of the lock at the front so I attempted to take it out last night to measure it. I took a long screw on the side of the door which let me slide the lock back and forth but unfortunately it didn't come out.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I just assumed I took out one screw, pop the lock out, measure it and pop it back it in again. I didn't want to give it a good clout in case I damaged anything and ended up with no lock until I've bought a new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-04, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I am unclear on some points in you post. Are you talking about replacing the whole lock or having them rekeyed?

What type of lock is it? Is this a door knob with the cylinder in it or a deadbolt lock or perhaps a mortise lock? Manufacturer?

If rekeying, you would not have to measure anything. If replacing the lock the points to consider are backset, door thickness and size of existing hole. In this case you would remove the screws that hold the lock on the door and then remove the two halves and then remove the screws that hold the latch in and remove it.

Old 10-07-04, 06:15 AM
PARKERDJ
Visiting Guest
The lock as no markings on it, its just a cylinder design which lots in the door handle. I've managed to pull it as you suggested, by taking the screws out of the side of the door.

Thanks.

Dave