Deadbolt Lock Won't Open

Old 10-31-04, 12:40 PM
Chance B eeper
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt Lock Won't Open

We have two doors with deadbolts. Both sets of deadbolts regularly will not open (or close) without a lot of jiggling (and some swearing to add to the mix ).

Any suggestions? Could it be that they didn't get attached correctly? Could it be that the men in the house are great at giving it a good swing to close it instead of gently closing the door and holding down the thumb rest?

Thanks! (I'm afraid of getting stuck in the house and not being able to escape.)

Last edited by Chance B eeper; 10-31-04 at 12:43 PM. Reason: want to add something
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 12:56 PM
If you have solid wood door it may have swelled, which could cause misalignment with the deadbolt. Check by opening and closing the deadbolt with the door open. If it works fine then its the alignment. You may have to make the hole in the facing SLIGHTLY larger where it accepts the bolt. You can rub a transfer medium( pencil, charcoal, chalk) on the bolt ,then close the door and close the bolt. Open the door and the marks will show where its hanging up. This is where you will make the hole slightly larger.
If it hangs up with the door open you may have a sticky key tumbler. You might try using a graphite key tumbler lubricant or W-D40 to free it up.

Old 10-31-04, 08:32 PM
WGW
Hi Chance B eeper
majakdragon makes some good points.
If the bolts themselves are binding, then following his suggestions should rectify things for you, but if by "jiggling" you mean that it's hard to get the key turn in the lock, then that could be caused by worn keys. That can easily be corrected by taking the locks in and having a Locksmith rekey it either to your existing key, or to new keys.

Regards

Old 01-05-05, 09:53 AM
Streetwalker
Visiting Guest
its always something.......grrrrr

About 12 yrs ago, we installed a deadbolt (no door knob, access from both sides of door, with a key) on my toddlers bedroom door, which accesses the garage.
Said toddler is now 14 and we moved him to another room (larger, lighter, nicer)
The deadbolt has maybe only been opened twice since we installed it. I had planned......(oh no, not THAT!) to unlock the deadbolt and again have access to my garage from the house.(without having to go outside and thru the other door)
We cannot get the lock to unlock!
I am not sure which brand of lock this is, but the keys say Defiant.
Hubby tried to use a screwdriver to unlock the thing, but it wont budge. any clues on how to get the bolt to retract? The keys will turn, but nothing happens to the bolt. It stays put.
Hub mentioned trying to take off the trim of the door, but I dont really see how that will help.
Anyone?

Old 01-05-05, 03:55 PM
There should be some screws somewhere on the inside of the lock to remove it from the door. They are often hidden-may be under caps, a thin scalp or accessible through small holes. Once you find these you can remove the lock and pull the bolt back through the cut out in the door.

Old 01-05-05, 05:51 PM
Streetwalker
Visiting Guest
Still Stuck!!!

Ok , this is hubby now! I Removed the key lock mech! Got to the inerds, tried to pry the "bolt" back with a screw-driver, no-luck!!!!! " Bolt" is stuck, once again , should we just take the trim off the door jam and try to ' push the "bolt" ???

Old 01-06-05, 09:29 AM
If the door is not warped (would have to be pretty bad to bind the bolt that bad) (push/pull and/or lift/push down on door while turning) disassemby is your only option. I prefer not to mess with the trim and will cut the bolt assembly into pieces and twist/work/pry it out through the hole in the door.

Most of the metal is not very strong except for the bolt itself. Once you tear the stuff visible in the door apart, (you should first try the screwdriver in the tailpiece slot with a visegrip for more torque) the bolt should be loose and easily removed. The problem with removing trim is, if you cannot move the bolt it will still be extended into the jamb so you would have to cut it with a hacksaw blade anyway.

Old 01-13-05, 05:25 AM
Streetwalker
Visiting Guest
well, he did it

Hub got the deadbolt out and the door open. He removed the pins from the hinges and pushed like heck and the door came off. We put on a new knob and handle and the door now works again. This time of year here......the ground moves alot. (adobe)
The new knob/handle does not catch just right so you have to sorta pull up on it to get it to catch.
Its still better than having to go into the garage all the time from the front door.
Glad we did not have to cut the bolt tho.
The deadbolt works fine now! lol.
I guess it was not retracting all the way and a small portion was keeping the door closed.
Thanks for the info/ideas.

Old 01-13-05, 08:26 AM
Glad to hear you solved the problem. Thanks for the update and solution.

Old 01-13-05, 07:11 PM
WGW
Hi Streetwalker, if your knobset is'nt latching without having to pull up on the door, then the obvious fix is as simple as taking the strikeplate off the frame and filing a little to lengthen it.
It's better to be taken care of now before your new knobset begins to show premature wear from the latch always binding. That could lead to another lockout situation.

Regards