Recessing a reinforced strike-plate

Old 10-31-04, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Recessing a reinforced strike-plate

What's up guys? Maybe you can help me out here. Just bought a house and we've replaced the deadbolts and handles on the outside doors. I've got quite a few tools in my reserve, but most of them are for drywall or electronics - nothing for woodworking.

I bought the Schlage reinforced, double cylinder deadbolts. Of course, to reinforce them, you have to recess them over a 1/4". So, I need to route/chisel/whatever the frame. What's the best tool to do this with? Preferrably something fairly inexpensive - but I want it to look decent too.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-04, 08:17 PM
WGW
Hi SafeWatch
I've always used a good sharp wood chisel to mortise the strike plate, and so does every other Locksmith I know.
I position the strike plate where I want it and use the edge of the chisel I trace around it. That gives an exact outline of it.
Deepen the outline by tapping the chisel slightly angled toward the inside of the outline with a hammer, then work slowly to mortise out what you need. The fit is usually tight enough that you may need to tap lightly on the strike plate with the butt end of the chisel to seat it into the cutout, but it ends up looking perfect in the end.

Regards

Old 11-01-04, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Alright, I figured that was probably the best way. I need a good little chisel for the tool box anyway.

Thanks.