Can't get key in keyhole on deadbolt

Old 11-06-04, 08:16 AM
jeremyf
Visiting Guest
Angry Can't get key in keyhole on deadbolt

I am unable to get my key in the keyhole on my front door deadbolt. If I jiggle it, I can get it in about 3/4 of the way. It worked fine when I originally installed the deadbolt so I know it was keyed okay, but over the course of the last several months it has gotten worse and worse to the point where the key just won't go all the way in.

Please provide me with any suggestions you may have to correct this problem. I would really prefer to not by a brand new deadbolt if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-04, 08:34 AM
jeremyF,
Welcome to the DIY Forums

It sounds like your key or deadbolt may have developed a few burrs. If the burrs are on the key its self you can use a fine grade sandpaper and BUFF the key with it. If the burrs are in the tumbler you might be able to use powered graphite put on the key then inserted into the lock. You can also spray a SMALL amount of WD-40 into the lock. Both of these will lubricate the lock and make the key slide smoother when used.
I prefer the powdered graphite as the liquid has a tendency to attract dust.

Good Luck and post back using the reply button as this will bring your post back to the top of the forum.

Old 11-06-04, 09:13 AM
jeremyf
Visiting Guest
Pretty amazing what a little squirt of WD-40 will do. Key went in just as easy as can be! Thanks very much for the advice! Great website and forum!

Old 11-06-04, 09:20 AM
Glad to have helped. Post back with any other questions you may have on your future projects.

Old 11-07-04, 05:53 PM
WGW
A key sticking as described is almost always caused by a lock that has dried out. A shot of WD40 twice a year will keep things lubed and working as they should.
Though graphite works well as a lubricant, it is often applied too generously and will eventually cake up in the cylinder and may prevent the key from going completely into the lock. Besides, it makes a real mess of things.

Regards