Door with 3 point lockset

Old 11-16-04, 04:59 PM
john6562
Visiting Guest
Door with 3 point lockset

I recently purchased a 30+ year old home that has a glass door with what I am told is a 3-point lockset (this has dead-bolt latches at the upper, center and lower edge of the door). The lock mechanism has jammed on the lower latch, so nothing locks. It appears that the door has to be disassembled to get to the lockset. Has anyone attempted this (successfully?)

Thanks...

Old 11-16-04, 06:14 PM
W
WGW
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi john6562
The only three point locking system that comes to mind is where the boltwork is operated by lifting the lever handle and the actual key cylinder is an oval or teardrop shape. Is this the type you have?
Is there a brand name anywhere?
The one I'm talking about, has a track that runs the length of the doors edge and is attached by screws.
That type can usually be serviced by removing those mounting screws.
But before you that far, I'd suggest you first try lubricating it with WD40 to see if the bottom bolt has just dried out and needs oil. At this time of year, as the weather gets colder, it's not unusual for locks to dry out and cause trouble. Also, be sure that the keepers that the bolts engage are free of any dirt
Let us know how things work out.

Regards

Old 11-17-04, 05:51 PM
john6562
Visiting Guest
It sounds similar, but different. The lever handle is mounted below the deadbolt knob, and both are housed in a (approx.) 4 x 8' housing. The upper and lower bolts have no visibile access from the top or side of the door - it truly appears to have been "built into" the door ( a rather expensive-looking double-pane glass french door). I cannot remove anything from the door except the handles for the center bolt. I've lubed every nook and cranny that provides any access and have gotten it to work for short periods of time, but then it binds again.

The only markings on the lockset are the letters "IPD" surrounded by an oval. I've struck out on a web search for "IPD" and have had no luck to date finding out who manufacturered the door.

I'm guessing I should be able to pry off the 4" wide door panel covering the mechanism to get access...but it could be a an expensive mistake...

Old 12-30-04, 12:17 PM
snoozeroo
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem...

I have a door with the only markings as IPD with a 3-point latch. The inside handle no longer turns the mechanism that engages the latches. Any luck finding the manufacturer yet?

Old 12-31-04, 06:50 AM
S
Sorry guys, I have never seen one of those myself. Reminds me of concealed vertical rods seen on commercial doors. The commercial version has linkage and adjustments for the bolts, which can wear, bend or become disconnected. It is very possible that it is obsolete hardware these days, even if the manufacturer is still in business, although they seem not to be.

Sometimes, by disassembling it you can find the problem, and make/have made a custom part or spring if none are available. Another option might be to disconnect the three point latches and just use the center if possible, or remove the lock and retrofit something else if you can find something close to the cutout you have.

Let your fingers do the walking-sometimes hardware is regional-a local locksmith may have worked on your style of lock before, since a certain builder may have used them for many houses in your area. Call around and see if anyone is familiar with what you have.

In the end it may be easier to get a new door-depending on what you have.

Old 02-24-05, 01:42 PM
systch
Visiting Guest
Found IPD!!!

Okay IPD stands for Insulated Patio Door, and the door is manufactured by Peachtree Doors, Phone number is
1-888-888-3814. I had the same problem with my door it is a plastic bushing that cracked, Peachtree will send me a new bushing kit at no charge Hope this helps you!!!

Old 02-24-05, 04:56 PM
It sounds reasonable to me that a bushing or guide is either broken or gone, so try that first. The three point locking systems I've run across, (and I'm not saying it's done on purpose), have usually been abused. By this I mean that someone along the line tried to close the door with the lower footbolt extended. This could damage the bushing, damage the footbolt itself, or bend the linkage.

If you are confident with your skills, one way to get at the bottom of the door is take the hinge pins out, and remove the door to work on it. REMEMBER, this is a two person job. Safety should be paramount. But it does allow you to work on the bottom of the footbolt.

If you are not willing to pull the door, then it's time to get on your back, and work between the ground/floor, and the door. Usually there isn't enough room though. Let me know what you decide to do, and if there are any questions, feel free to post back.

cuedude

Old 03-07-05, 05:49 AM
systch
Visiting Guest
Fixed Door!

Well my free bushing kit arrived Friday and it took about a half hour to replace the plastic bushings with metal ones. The kit came with (2) bushings, springs, washers and c-clips. I had to remove 2 screws and take both plates off and then take the handles off (1 screw) and take the c-clip off and hit the bushing so it popped out. The hardest thing to do was to replace the springs they are 5 inches long and have to be squeezed down to an inch and a half. What a difference it made once it was done!!!! My teenaged daughter actually opened and closed the door a dozen times saying "AH" each time, it was a pain using the door with the bad plastic bushings. I do hope that every one that posted about the same problem last year see this posting and get the free kit from Peachtree Doors! By the way I love the internet for solving problems!!!!!
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: