Kwikset deadbolt problem

Old 11-23-04, 09:50 PM
cabwareman
Visiting Guest
Kwikset deadbolt problem

My son bought a pre owned house and one of his Kwikset deadbolts is not working very well. I bought a new deadbolt and when I went to install it, I ran into a problem. The old deadbolt is unlike any I have dealt with in the past. It is a single cylinder deadbolt with a key hole on one side, and a lever on the other. I have replaced these before by taking out the screws on the lever side. However this one does not have visible screws on the lever side. There are two small holes on the lever side. I thought that these would be openings for a screwdriver to go into and remove two screws. My problem is that I have tried to look into these holes to see what type of tool I need to use, but can't see into them. I have tried screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and torx bits but nothing seems to be moving in there. Help! What am I doing wrong? How do I get this broken deadbolt off this door? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-04, 10:38 AM
cabwareman
Visiting Guest
Kwikset deadbolt problem

I just realized that I make a mistake in the information in the above post. The deadbolt that I am having a problem with removing is not a single cylinder, but a double cylinder with a key hole on both sides. The rest of the information is accurate. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-24-04, 07:32 PM
WGW
Hi cabwareman
I've never known a Kwikset deadbolt to hide the mounting screws, so this is a new one on me as well.
Have you tried lubricating the old lock to get it working?

If you're set on replacing it, then the removal method really does'nt matter.
I'd suggest that you just drill out the connecting screws.

Regards

Old 11-24-04, 07:35 PM
WGW
It just occurred to me that your double cylinder deadbolt might have a face cap covering the connecting screws.
Though I'm not possitive that Kwikset used them, on others, these are just pressed on when the lock was installed.
Try using a small slot screw driver to pry off the face cap on the inside cylinder.

Old 11-24-04, 10:15 PM
cabwareman
Visiting Guest
That was it. The holes were screw holes where the old screws had been removed. I just needed to pry the cover off and everything was fine. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest. Thanks for the help.