Replacing lock...want same key

Old 11-24-04, 07:29 AM
ncsu_go
Visiting Guest
Replacing lock...want same key

I need to replace a lock on a door...the lock is worn out. It's a Quickset lock and the key to this lock also opens other locks throughout the house.

I would like to be able to use the same key on my new lock. Is this possible and, if so, how do I go about getting a new lock that fits my old key?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-04, 07:25 PM
WGW
Hi ncsu_go
A Kwikset key can interchange with several other lock manufacturers.
For instance, if you buy a new one made by Weiser,Titan,Dexter,Dorex to name just a few, you can have your local locksmith rekey the new lock to your old key for a small fee.
In other words, if your old key will enter the new lock, it can be keyed to your key.
There are some supply houses that do in house keying as well.

Regards

Old 11-25-04, 12:30 PM
I would strongly suggest you stay with a Kwikset lock and not try to change brands.This will make rekeying to your existing lock far simpler.Most hardware stores have someone on the staff that can do this and anyone with this experience can do it within minutes.Kwikset is one of two manufacturers (Schlage being the other) that make and supply to vendors a full set up for rekeying their locks.These set ups are not designed to rekey to other brands so why complicate this issue?I suggest you avoid the big box retailers if at all possible.They usually have less qualified staff and often require longer waiting periods.Go to a real hardware store.

Old 11-25-04, 07:25 PM
WGW
Actually spdavid, keying a Kwikset, or any other lock the Kwikset key will enter is no more work, and if keyed by a professional, it is every bit as secure and reliable as if it were a Kwikset lock (in fact, sometimes better).
16 years in the Locksmith field, I've come across this many times.
The only place one might find it difficult, is if they were trying to use a Kwikset pin kit because they are obviously designed to pin only ine brand of lock.
Locksmiths have a "standard" pin kit that offers enough of a variety in pin sizes to accomdate any given lockset.

Regards

Old 11-28-04, 09:02 AM
My 30 years in the hardware business gives me a slightly more open viewpoint of a situation like this.Not everyone is going to want to involve a locksmith in a situation that isn't overly complex.I can only speak for the company I am a part of but I doubt many locksmiths will do this work for three dollars per lock.That said ,going to a hardware store will include limitations on what kind of locks are available at the location for this purpose.Kwikset (and Schlage) provide the kits for their specific brands and are by far the primary lock brands carried by hardware stores.We are an Ace retailer and that's the two primary brands available to our store as well as the thousands of locations nationwide.A hardware store has no need for a more generalized kit as lock work is not all we do by any means.In the situation mentioned I don't see a need to change brands...why make this more costly or complex than it needs to be?Also just to be clear Titan is a Kwikset line and not a seperate brand.Again go to a real hardware store,save money,and keep it simple.

Old 11-28-04, 06:39 PM
WGW
I really did'nt post my opinion to get into a pissing match spdavid.
I was simply advising ncsu_go that he or she is not limited to one brand to accomplish being able to stay on an existing key.
By the way, I am aware of the many names the Kwikset line is posted under, but others might not be, but thanks for that.

Regards

Old 11-29-04, 09:49 AM
As an aside for our other readers, I found out a while ago that Kwikset no longer makes the Titan, but they have consolidated and renamed their product lines.

www.kwikset.com

Old 11-30-04, 08:43 PM
billbo18
Visiting Guest
kwikset has changed the name from titan to ultra-max for marketing purposes. The ultramax is the new version featuring a 6 pin anti-pick system in a grade 1 security. They have changed this because too many consumers knew them as titan and not kwikset...they were not getting the name recognition they wanted. Otherwise, they're the same.