exterior mortise locks

Old 12-06-04, 08:23 PM
ajcbgray
Visiting Guest
exterior mortise locks

I just bought a house that has mortise locks on the exterior doors. The throw on the deadbolts is only 1/2" or so and I would like to replace the locks with something a little more secure. Any recomendations would be great as I'd like to keep the look and hardware of the current doors.
thanks,
ben

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 09:56 PM
Welcome to the forums!

What is the size of the face plate on the edge of the door?

Standard commercial mortise locks will be 8" in height, this would make replacement easier. Backset(from edge of door to center of knob would be 2 3/4" for these locks.) The drawback is, depending on the age, a replacement lock will often be incompatible with the knobs and plates you have, requiring total replacement.

If it is a different size, you may have to use some type of reproduction hardware. Is there a manufacturer name on the lock?

Old 12-07-04, 06:28 AM
ajcbgray
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll have to take a few measurements tonight when I go over to paint (we're not officially in the house till this weekend).
ben

Old 12-07-04, 05:37 PM
WGW
Hi ajcbgray;

Are these mortise locks finished in brass? If so, the fix is easy.
I faced the same problem when we moved into our 135 year old victorian home. The original mortise box and hardware were complete, but tarnished and offered minimal security.
The previous owner had installed a cheap deadbolt that stuck out like a sore thumb and was'nt in keeping with the original look of the door.
What I did, was remove the mortise box lock and hardware and polished it, then I bought a high security solid brass deadbolt, stripped the clear laquer finish off with a wire brush and polished it with the same rag used on the old hardware. Both were then given a new clear coat and ended up looking almost identical in color. After re-installing on the door, I had modern day security with an original 1870 look.

Regards