Desperate help needed-Xmas Crisis

Old 12-22-04, 09:44 PM
carlnevarc
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Desperate help needed-Xmas Crisis

We have recently decided to buy my dad a christmas present of a pinball machine for our basement. The only way we can get it in is through our basement door. Unfortunately, my dad did something to the lock to prevent my brother from using it to sneak out. We need to know how to open it in order to get the pinball machine in. We have a deadbolt by schlage. when i turn it clockwise it should open. However, when i turn it, the bolt doesn't move. It seems as if the dead bolt is loose in the door. It also looks like where it is attached to the side of the door is loose or not really attached. THIS IS URGENT. I need to get this problem fixed by christmas morning otherwise it won't be the perfect gift. thanks in advance

-carl

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
He's probably removed or repositioned part of the internal mechanism. The inside plate should have two screws showing. Remove these screws and the plate should pull right off (the outter plate will also be loose). Look and see if there is anything obvious. Once you can see inside you, seeing how to pull the deadbolt back should be self-explanatory.

On a safety note; this is a very dangerous situation as it blocks a possible emergency exit in the event of a fire. I would urge you to fix the lock.

Old 12-23-04, 07:51 AM
Yes, sounds like he removed the tailpiece or disconnected it. Do as tow guy says and if the tailpiece is gone, you can put a screwdriver in the bolt to turn it open.

I would also recommend making it operable for the sake of safety as mentioned. Just had a house fire in my area that killed a family of 4 due to smoke detectors not working-a different device but the point is you never know when something may go wrong.

Old 12-23-04, 09:11 AM
carlnevarc
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
He's probably removed or repositioned part of the internal mechanism. The inside plate should have two screws showing. Remove these screws and the plate should pull right off (the outter plate will also be loose). Look and see if there is anything obvious. Once you can see inside you, seeing how to pull the deadbolt back should be self-explanatory.

On a safety note; this is a very dangerous situation as it blocks a possible emergency exit in the event of a fire. I would urge you to fix the lock.

The problem is I can't even get to the inside plate. My dad has opened the door before for when we got our new washing machine, so I know it is fully functional when properly used. How can I get to the lock itself if I can't even unlock the door?

Old 12-23-04, 03:27 PM
We assumed you had access to the house and wanted to get the gift into the basement.With access you would be able to dismantle it from the inside.

Unless perhaps this is a double cylinder deadbolt that has a key hole on both sides? What are you using to try and turn it, a key or a thumb turn on the inside?

Old 12-23-04, 10:10 PM
carlnevarc
Visiting Guest
It is double sided, and I am using a key.

Old 12-24-04, 06:30 AM
Here are some posts from the archive that should help you. Better not show your brother how to do it

Some Schlage locks use drive in plugs to cover the screw holes once they are installed that need to be removed to access the screws. You would see a couple of round areas flush with the face of the lock.

Thanks schiejr
That's what it was, Got it out today.
I am having a similar problem. I have a old schlage double cylinder deadbolt and there are no screws in the interior side to remove. The house was built in the 50s. There are two tiny caps that I manage to pry off with a small flathead screwdriver on the interior side of the deadbolt. After removing the two caps there were just these two tiny holes but no screws. How do I remove this type of double cylinder deadbolt? Thanks.

Yes, I did. I tried a small allen wrench. I inserted the wrench and tried to wiggle it to see if anything is inside. I also tried to use the allen wrench and a plier to pull the cylinder out. Didn't work (or maybe I need to pull harder?). Those two tiny holes must serve a purpose in removing the deadbolt. I just need to find out what that purpose is.

I am not sure what it would be if not allen screws-this thread describes your situation, perhaps you saw it already, and it was allen screws. I am assuming you tried different sizes?

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=50810

It appears I need the correct size allen wrench. The small ones that go thru the hole are too small. The bigger ones don't fit the hole. I have mostly metric size allen wrenches, just a few SAE allen wrench. I probably need the correct size SAE allen wrench. Thanks for the help.

From my experience, if the deadbolt had trim caps, then the screws they were pressed into should be visible directly underneath. Some of these are removed with an allen wrench while others simply use a philips screw driver.

On the other hand, if the wrench goes into the collar, then they will be of the Allen type and as you're finding out, can be a challenge to locate the screw heads. Though I can't recall the exact size wrench you'll need, it won't be tight while engaging the hole.

WGW

What's the best/easiest way to get the screw caps off?

The small flathead screwdriver should do, and work the edge with the corner to get it started. If that gives you trouble, a sharper object like a pocket knife may be better to get it started.

Got them off. Thanks for the help