Need help with door knob

Old 12-28-04, 10:32 PM
sanper
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Need help with door knob

Hi,
One of my kids kids locked the door from the inside and closed the door.
I don't know the technical name for this kind of knob but it is pretty standard one - round knob with manual lock from inside and key lock from out side. It has a little hole undeneath handle. I tried to picklock without luck.
Is there any way to oppen the door without braking them.

Old 12-29-04, 01:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Sanper,
- most of those kind of locks will open if you push somthing firmly into the hole. Try a nail held in pliers.

Old 12-29-04, 01:15 PM
sanper
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Thnx for advice, but it didn't work.
I have to try something else. Is there a way to take a knob apart without using power drils? All my tools are behind that door , as well is my frige if you know what I mean (I guess there is no lunch today )

Old 12-30-04, 07:55 AM
S
If it is a lock that uses a key you may have to break it- a replacement would be cheaper than a locksmith service call, especially if this is a light duty residential lock. You might also try removing the door casing to gain access to the latch.

Old 12-30-04, 06:52 PM
W
WGW
Hi sanper
If the door leads into a closet or just a storage room in the house, then it might well be what is called a "privacy lockset".
Some of these appear to have a slot to accept a key, but will open readily with a slot screw driver turned in the knobs slot.
If that is'nt what you have, then I'd go with what schiejr suggests.

Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: