Old Door Knob w/ bolt....stuck.

Old 01-03-05, 01:41 PM
torvacell
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Old Door Knob w/ bolt....stuck.

The bathroom door knob is stuck in the 'shut' position-- the bolt won't dislodge. It's old hardware and we've managed to take the face plate and the knobs off-- however, we can't find a release for the bolt, or find a little slot, or a spring. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 02:32 PM
WGW
Hi torvacell and welcome to the DIY boards!

Because there are different methods with different manufacturers, it would help to know what the make of knobset you have?
By having the knob already off though, you're halfway there.
From there, it's a matter of fishing for the latch actuator that would normally be engaged by the knob hub.
With manufacturer detail, I can be more specific to your lock.

Regards

Old 01-03-05, 05:06 PM
torvacell
Visiting Guest
WGW, thanks for your reply-- The knob set is old, that we can not find a stamp for the manufacturer-- it either has no stamp or it has long been worn off by use-- the inside of the knobs only have the patent-pending stamp (Can Pat 1950-1955, US PAT 2494901?.)

We do know is that the house was built in the late 30's (edit: actually, the Mother-in-law just informed us it was built in 1927)-- and all doorknobs in the house, (minus the new storm door to the porch that was replaced recently), were replaced in the 50's by my husbands' Grandad.

The knobs were held on by two screws, the main knob has a square rod turning mechanism which should catch the latch, but we can not find the latch in the peice that is threaded into the door-- We are trying to wedge a thin knife between the trim and the lock-- but so far, all I hear is my husband cussing...so I don't think it's working well....it appears that our hallway and trim have been painted...many, many times.

Old 01-03-05, 05:46 PM
torvacell
Visiting Guest
We got it

Thank you though. We had to pick apart the inner bits, hammer, saw and pick our way and in the process had to peel away the trim, to shim the lock. There was a spring, but it had snapped and was lodged between the bolt and a wheel bit looking thing... some how.... Anyway, this was quite the chore and we'll be replacing all the old 1950's knobs with new ones this weekend.