Replacing Older Door Handset

Old 02-07-05, 09:39 PM
Replacing Older Door Handset

I just getting ready to move in to my first new house (very excited!).

Well, I wanted to replace the locks on the house when I move in this weekend and all the door locks are pretty straight forward except the front door. The front door has an older stlye of handset from the newer models that I am looking at. It looks like the older door has a shorter distance between the deadbolt strike and the latch strike. I have been looking at Schlage handsets, but the distance between the deadbolt and latch stikes appears to be several inches and the older style I am replacing is much narrower (in the 3/4 to 1 inch range). The older style has the deadbolt lock and handset integrated into one unit.

My hopes is that there is an easier solution than to recut the door edge holes.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I could include the picture of it with this post....might make more sense...

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-05, 03:49 PM
Older Door Hand Set

Hi, I am gathering that this is an Mortis Lock. Can you tell me if there is one plate that covers both latch and dead bolt on the door edge? This would give me a better idea of what you have.

If it does have this long plate, it is a Mortis type lock, and usually they are quite good. Is it still working properly? Also, I wanted to suggest rather than have the whole thing replaced, have it rekeyed, and replace the hardware on the inside and outside of the door. This will be more cost effective for you I think. Let me know a bit more detail, and I can probably suggest something.

cuedude

Old 02-08-05, 09:49 PM
The Door

Thanks for the reply. I dont believe its a Mortis lock. There are two seperate plates for the latch and deadbolt. I actually have a picture of it, but can figure out how to post it on this website. Well, here is my attemp to try and better explain it visually.

Front-View (Outside)
An ordinary handset lock has the deadbolt and handset on the outside of the door and they are seperated by several inches. My handset lock has the thumb latch and deadbolt very close together. Mabye 3/4 of an inch apart.

Side-view
As I mentioned it has a seperate plate for the latch and the deadbolt. The distance between my latch plate and deadbolt is very close...I would say 3/4 of an inch or so. Everything I have looked at in samples at Home depot or Lowes has these two plates several inches apart.

I hope this better explains my problem.

Thanks again!
bob

Old 02-09-05, 03:34 AM
I don't know of any locksets that are that close together, so I'm going to guess that this was initially just a poor installation. Let me ask one more question...from the inside, with the deadbolt extended, when you try to open the knob, does the deadbolt retract with the latch? If it does, there is a seperate plate that connects both locks. It is a good thing though as it is there to allow "One motion egress" from your home in case of fire. (Fire codes are really pushed here in S. Fl) I could be way off base here, so let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, and I'll investigate further and get back to you this evening.

cuedude

Old 02-09-05, 08:11 AM
Welcome to the forums bob.

Due to past abuses, the photo and hyperlink feature has been turned off in this forum. You could use a free hosting site like photobucket and provide a URL for us to view your pictures.

This is a modern mortise lock:

http://professional.schlage.com/pdfs...e/L-Series.pdf

Older versions are often found on old houses. There is also sectional trim which would have the knob and cylinder seperate but would still be one unit on the side of the door, which does not match your description. Perhaps there is a another type I have not seen before.

If it is an obsolete prep, then you would have to recut the door, which is doable if your new lock covers all the old holes. The other solution would be to use a reinforcing plate with holes precut for your lock that would cover the holes. This is usually not the best looking solution though.

Old 02-09-05, 04:06 PM
I agree with schiejr on this one. I have never seen a lock such as you describe. I asked around at work today, and no one else has ever heard of one either.

And I also agree with the Installation plate. If you should go this way, try and find the plate that is "flat" along the edge. These mount over the latch and dead bolt plates. (They use the same screws that hold the latch and bolt in place.)

Other than this, the next choice is to fill the holes in the door, and start over. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but this is the way I personally go. This way, you know better of what you have as far as a secure door.

cuedude

Old 02-09-05, 04:24 PM
Thank You

I think my best bet is to get a quote from a locksmith and have them do it. I was hoping to save some cash, but it appears the handset is of an older variety and may need some special attention to replace.

I would like to personnally thank you both for your replies and suggestions. I am very gratefull for your advice!

Sincerely,
bob

Old 02-09-05, 05:39 PM
Bob, I wish I could have helped you more with this. Do let us know about what the Locksmith says about what your lock is: ie, type and brand. An inquiring locksmith wants to know.

cuedude

Old 02-09-05, 07:04 PM
WGW
Hi bobathome
Schlage is one brand that I know of who once made a combination lockset much as you describe.
The bolt and latch were separate units about 1 to 1 1/2" apart on the edge of the door as were the outside handle and deadbolt.
There was an escutcheon plate on the inside that both the thumbturn and knob connected through. On this unit, a turn of the knob retracted the bolt as well as the latch.
I believe this particular model was discontinued a few years ago.

If you are set on replacing this door hardware instead of having them rekeyed, then I'd suggest buying an single hole edgeplate that can be mortised into the door edge to cover the old cutouts (Don-Jo is one manufacturer of these). This plate is about 6" long.
Then use either brass or aluminum (depending on your new hardware color) push plates to cover the holes through the door both inside and outside. These come in variable sizes to suit your needs.
Now you will have a fresh surface to drill for your replacement locksets.

Don't forget to get an extended double hole strike plate for the frame as well to cover the old strike plate cutouts too.
The above strike plate will dictate where your new lockset holes will need to be drilled, as they are predrilled usually at 6" centers.

Regards

Old 02-23-05, 09:38 PM
Door UPDATE

Just wanted to post back to all of you that tried to help me in the past. I was getting ready to move into my new house and had some questions about my handleset. The door handle I was trying to describe was a Weslock Lexington 1444 Handleset. After looking at it and hunting on the web, I have determined that thats the one!

The door handle I am replacing is very worn from the weather, so my original plan was to replace with a nice new Baldwin lock...but...now that I have been looking at it more, I have been thinking about buying a new Weslock 1444 lock in Nickel finish and that would prevent my problem with either getting a new door or having a locksmith change it out and have some issues fitting the different type lock to my door.

Can anyone give me any advice on the Weslock 1444 Handleset? Is it a good lock? I have read its pretty secure, but not sure and wanted to find out from some of you experts out there.

Thanks again....

bobathome (enjoying my new home...at last!!)

Old 02-24-05, 03:57 AM
Hi Bob, I just went to the weslock site and looked at what you were talking about. From what the discription says, it is a good lock. And the part where it talks about being able to unlock both locks with one turn of the inner knob is super. However, I cannot give you any thing to look out for with this. I've seen similar locks, but not this particular one. Maybe someone else can offer more information. Enjoy the new house!!

cuedude

Old 03-25-12, 01:40 PM
these types of entry door handles are in the weslock interconnect series they have a center to center bore of 2 7/8" they are the only knobs that i have found with this center to center spacing