Installing a flip lock

Old 02-13-05, 01:14 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a flip lock

My Father has Alzheimer's Disease and my Mother wants to lock her bedroom closet door at night because he has mistaken the closet door for the bathroom door, which is just a few feet away from the closet. I want to install a "flip lock" on the bedroom closet door. So that there is no confusion, the flip lock I purchased mounts to the moulding of the door and to lock the door, flip the other part of the lock to the left so that it locks in place in front of the door. Before I go in there and start drilling holes in the moulding, I want to ask if there is anything I should or shouldn't do as far as the installation goes. In addition, I'm going to mount this lock either well above or well below the doorknob so that my Father is not able to figure out the lock and open it. Does anyone have any ideas on where to mount this lock ?

Old 02-14-05, 06:08 PM
W
WGW
Hi eman7911
My sympathy to both you and your mom.
My mother is also a victim of Alzeimers, so I know where you're coming from.

Informed sources suggest mounting the lock high on the door above eye level. Alzeimers patients don't think to look up when faced with a "locked" door so a "flip lock" should suffice in keeping the closet separated from the washroom. You might also try posting a sign on the washrrom door to remind him which door to use.
Have you put your Dad on your local Alzeimers society wanderers registry yet?
It's a good idea to do so, because if he ever manages to wander away from home, the local police will already have the necessary information on him and it will make it easier for them to find him. They will also issue a braclet for him to wear with his name and address engraved.

Hope this helps

Regards

Old 02-15-05, 12:39 AM
K
Originally Posted by WGW
You might also try posting a sign on the washrrom door to remind him which door to use.
Men's room, it should be. Not the skirted lady symbol, which goes on Mom's closet door of course. Some things are deeply ingrained.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: