How to remove blue lock assembly from metal storm door?

Old 02-13-05, 12:22 PM
knightws6
Visiting Guest
How to remove blue lock assembly from metal storm door?

I'm trying to remove this blue lock casing from my metal storm door. I can't remember what type of lock assembly it is but I think it starts with "H". My door handle/lock assembly consists of a door knob on top and the lock cylinder below it. On the side of the door that is inside the house there is a little latch/knob that locks/unlocks the lock and the inside door handle is above it. I don't see any screws to disconnect the inside little knob from the outside lock cylinder so that I can pull the blue lock casing out from the side. There is a one-piece metal decorative covering that goes around the lock cylinder and door knob on both sides of the door.

Does anyone know if this type of setup is even removable? If so how is it removed. Thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-05, 05:21 PM
Hello, every lock is removable, just some are tougher than others. The normal lock is more obvious than what you have. Try and look around the narrow part of the door handle. (Inside). If you have what I think you have, there is one or two allen type set screws in the handle to hold it on a spindle. If you see these, loosen/remove the set screws to remove the door handles. Use caution however, some of these actually screw onto the spindles. If you look closely where the handle meets the lock body, you can tell by the very inside of the handle. If it appears to be a round opening, it is the screw-on type. If it looks like it is part of the spindle, it slides on and off. (That's why the set screws). This is a bit complicated, so if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to help.

cuedude

Old 02-13-05, 07:31 PM
knightws6
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Actually I can disconnect both door handles from the blue lock body. The problem I have is the cylinder part below the door knob. The side of the door that faces inside the house has a very small thingy that you turn to lock/unlock the door from the inside. On the other side is where you insert the key to lock/unlock. This bottom part is what I have a problem disconnecting from the door so that I can slide out the whole lock mechanism from the side.

I pulled the door knobs back off and of the door, bending the metal decorated coverings(which is connected to both the door knob and lock cylinder on both sides) such that the door knob/metal covering assembly rotates freely around this lower lock cylinder area. I'm wondering if this comes off by continously rotating it around the lock cylinder. I tried this but did not see any signs of it working. I get the feeling the solution would be easy if I could get this decorated covering off.

Old 02-14-05, 03:52 AM
Good Morning,

I'm going to need a bit more information. Is there a screw on plate on the edge of the door that meets the jam? What does it look like? Does it surround a latch and a deadbolt?

Try removing the plate on the edge of the door. You may see a set screw under there holding the lock cylender in place, or you could find a phillips head screw (recessed into the lock body itself). If you do, loosen the screw, try and unscrew the lock cylender itself. A little trick I use for this is inserting the key about halfway, and simply use it as a wrench. If it is really hard to turn, you might have to loosen the screws at the very top and bottom of the lock body. I don't recommend putting more pressure on the key than is necessary to simply turn the cylender. In other words, don't put so much force on the key that you break it. If it won't turn easily, don't continue with the key.

I'll be offline most of the day today, but will be on later to answer any questions that come up. I hope this helps you out.

cuedude

Old 02-14-05, 10:47 AM
knightws6
Visiting Guest
If the screw on plate that I'm thinking of is what you are referring to then yes, there is one on the side of the door that has openings for the latch and dead bolt to pass through. I already had it off. I'm not at home right now but I will check when I get home to see if I can find a set screw holding the lock cylinder in place.

Right now the assembly moves around being connected only by the cylinder. I will also check to see if I have a phillips headscrew recessed in the lock body.

Old 02-14-05, 02:50 PM
Hi Knightws6,

OK, you are dealing with a mortise type lock. You will have either a set screw, usually black in color, that is holding the cyl. in place, or the recessed phillips head screw. If you have the phillips head type, you should actually be able to see the back of the lock cyl. And of course, you will see how it is held in by the screw. Just loosen it until it turns freely, and you should be set. If you have any more problems, let me know.

cuedude

Old 02-14-05, 06:25 PM
WGW
Hi knightws6
I think you're describing a profile cylinder below the knobs.
This is evident if the lock cylinder is either oval or teardrop shaped.
If that's what you have, then you will see a screw on the door edge (where the latch and bolt come out). Take that screw completely out of the door, then you should be able to remove the cylinder from the inside by pulling on the thumbpiece.
You may have to slightly turn the thumbpiece to line up the cam with the lock body in order for it to come out of its housing. The cam is not visible while the cylinder is in the lock body, so finding the right position can be a little tricky.

Regards

Old 02-14-05, 06:25 PM
knightws6
Visiting Guest
Good news,

I turned the cylinder on the outside with the key inserted half way in for leverage and the cylinder came out. I left the cylinder part on the other side of the door on since I did not need to take it off. The reason I was messing with the door lock was because I was fixing my lock to enable it to lock/unlock correctly. On the side of the door I accidently got the long screw all the way in beyond reach which seized the whole assembly. This long screw was in the section the outside cylinder was at so I was able to pull it out easily.

Thanks for the help!