Deadbolt too short

Old 02-19-05, 11:06 AM
rlambuel
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt too short

Good Day All!

I have a front door which was installed in 1960. It has a decorative Yale door knob. I want to install an additional Schlage deadbolt for greater security. The original door knob has approximately a 5" throw. Highly unusual compared to the tradition 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" throws which is what the new Schlage deadbolt options are. So, if I install any current deadbolt product it will look severely offset as compared to doorknob. I would like to know if it is possible to find a 5" bolt throw for a Schlage deadbolt or any other brand. This would allow my deadbolt lock to line up vertically with the door knob.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-05, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Schlage has 5" backset bolts available for all their residential deadbolts. You would usually have to go to a locksmith, builders hardware store or online to obtain one, not usually available at the big boxes or local hardware. Here is a link showing some options:

http://www.andersonlock.com/schlagedeadbolt.html

As an aside, the term you want is backset, the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the lock. Throw describes how far the bolt protrudes from the door when extended, 1" being typical on modern bolts. Older deadbolts sometimes only had a 1/2" throw and should be replaced for maximum security.

Good luck! Be sure to post back if you have anymore difficulties or questions.

Last edited by schiejr; 02-19-05 at 05:24 PM.