Old Lock

Old 02-26-05, 01:36 PM
aklexie
Visiting Guest
Question Old Lock

I bought a new deadbolt lock and when I went to replace the old one, I realized that the old one is huge. A huge, old, segal deadbolt lock. Is it possible to replace that with one of the newer smaller ones?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-05, 02:48 PM
Old Lock

Hi,

Yes it is. What you need is called an escusion plate. It allowes the installation of a 1 1/2" lock, in a 2 1/8" hole. Measure the existing hole, and if it is the same, go by a local locksmith shop/hardware store, and see if they have a set. (You'll need 2 plates. One for each side of the door.) If the hole is smaller than that, you will have to enlarge it. There are as many ways to do this as there are people reading this. Since there will not be anything to hold the center bit in a cup/hole saw, I usually use a wood rasp bit in my electric drill. If this is the way you go, be extra carefull to get the hole as round as possible. If you are uncertain about whether you want to tackle this problem, you can always have a locksmith, or a carpenter friend with an installation jig come by and drill it out for you.

Another thing to consider is if there is damage around the hole itself that cannot be covered by the lock, or the escusion plate, you will need a pair of "Scar Rings". I like to use Mag, (brand name) as they come in pairs. These will hide any imperfections, and installation is pretty much self explanitory. I hope this helps with your trouble. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

cuedude