moertise lock not working

Old 03-28-05, 07:18 PM
jeffreymarc2
Visiting Guest
moertise lock not working

I just installed a new mortise lock (MArks 8600A/3), and I am having two problems. First, what tool can I use to screw in the mortise cylindar more securely. Second, the lock works from the inside, but when I try to lock it from outside the cylindar will lock, but the key won't make a full turn so I can remove the key and keep the door locked. is this related to the first problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-05, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Your problems are most likely related. Often a key in the cylinder will not turn all the way if it is not far enough in. You should not have to use a lot of force on a new lock to screw the cylinder in, one of the easiest methods is to insert the key half way or even better a key blank and use this as a handle to turn it. If you have to turn it so hard the key starts to bend, and cannot remove the trim ring( if you have one), you may need a thinner trim ring or a longer cylinder. This might be the case for older doors which may be a bit thicker than modern ones.

Old 03-29-05, 08:04 AM
jeffreymarc2
Visiting Guest
thanks a lot, I thought that may be the problem; I'll give it a shot!

Old 03-30-05, 04:12 AM
Hi Jeffreymarc, I've been offline for a little bit and have missed alot of posts. I'll start here. Something that caught my attention is the tightening of the cylender already discussed. It should never be too hard to install. As far as the "One side works, and the other doesn't" problem you're having, on the side that DOESN'T work, back the cylender out one turn, and tighten it down. Sometimes the tail pieces of the locks get bound up in the works and this usually takes care of it.

cuedude

Old 03-30-05, 07:28 PM
WGW
All good advise, and I might add.
After you've screwed in the cylinder. Rotate it slightly back and forth as you tighten the set screw so you're sure the set screw seats in the cylinder properly.

Regards

Old 03-31-05, 03:08 AM
jeffreymarc2
Visiting Guest
Ok, I've gotten the lock to work by taking out the cylindar and reinstalling it; the only problem now is that it "sticks" a little bit, and doesn't always turn smoothly. Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-05, 03:50 AM
Hello again,

My first thought about your new problem is that either the Key, or the lock isn't BRAND new, just new to you. If this is the case, it sounds like it needs to be repined, or a new key cut by code. Any locksmith can do this for you.

If this is a brand new lock and key, there may be some burs on the tail piece where the past binding occured. Not to worry though. How I would repair this is either (a) go to a locksmith and have them replace the tail piece, or (b) if that's not an option, lightly, and I mean lightly, file off the burr. REMEMBER not to file the tailpiece to the point of changing the shape. This will ruin the piece, and you will need to see that locksmith anyway. Just file enough to correct the trouble. Hope this helps.

cuedude

Old 04-05-05, 10:00 PM
tinkerer
Visiting Guest
Hi all,

My first post here. I'm a locksmith.

If the key operates the lock smoothly when the door is open but binds when closed, I suspect the latch or bolt is dragging on the strike plate holes.

Try this to check: Operate the key while pushing or pulling on the knob. If the binding goes away, filing the strike will fix a minor misalignment. Larger deviations will need moving the strike plate. Secondly operate the key while peeping in the jamb/door gap to check for latch or bolt dragging on the top or bottom of their respective strike holes.

If the key operates the cylinder smoothly when its not in the lock, the problem lies elsewhere.

Make sure the cylinder's keyhole is in a perfect vertical position. A slight offset can cause the cylinder's cam not to engage the lockwork properly.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-05, 03:19 AM
jeffreymarc2
Visiting Guest
I've gotten it to work.

Thanks for all your help. I've finally gotten the lock to work; I added a"collar" to the front of the cylinder, and the lock is working smoothly now. Thanks again!