Doorknob broken / will not unlock

Old 04-22-05, 07:44 PM
dmarcantuono
Visiting Guest
Doorknob broken / will not unlock

The doorknob on my door b/w laundry room and garage is stuck in the locked position even though the lock switch (vertical when locked; horizontal when unlocked) is in the unlocked position. I removed the screws to look inside but cannot remove insides since the bolt part is sticking out of it's hole. This is preventing me from being able to pull insides out. Door is open and cannot be closed because this bolt part is sticking out (in "closed" position) and will not budge sinc knob will not become unlocked. Any suggestions to remove or maybe tinker with and fix? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-05, 12:31 AM
The doorknob on my door b/w laundry room and garage is stuck in the locked position even though the lock switch (vertical when locked; horizontal when unlocked) is in the unlocked position. I removed the screws to look inside but cannot remove insides since the bolt part is sticking out of it's hole. This is preventing me from being able to pull insides out. Door is open and cannot be closed because this bolt part is sticking out (in "closed" position) and will not budge sinc knob will not become unlocked. Any suggestions to remove or maybe tinker with and fix?

Good Morning,

After reading your post, there are a few things that come to mind, all leading to replacement. First of all, before I get too involved I will need to know a bit more. Do you know the brand of lock you have? I am gathering it is not an overly expensive one as it is between your Laundry and Garage? The reason I need this info is due to the different styles of locks on the market. Does the Latch seem to go through the body of the lock? Or does it simply slip into the side of the lock body? If it simply slips into the side, it should be fairly straight forward to remove the entire lock from the door. The only thing I can think of that would make it difficult to remove the lock is if either the latch has come detached from the lock, or the latch has come completely apart.If it is the type that the lock slides through, again, it should be easy to remove.

As I have to leave for work,I'll not get your responces until later this evening. However there are many good locksmiths on this forum that can, and will assist you if you need a faster reply. At least maybe I got the ball rolling for you.

cuedude

Old 04-23-05, 07:04 AM
dmarcantuono
Visiting Guest
Cuedude
Thanks for the reply. Yes, cheap knob. No manufacturer name anywhere can be found. Looks like the usual stock knob which builders use on a door like this. Lock goes through the center attaching key hole on one knob to latch on other knob. I don't know what you call the part of the system which plunges into the door jamb to keep it closed, but this part is plunged through the little hole on edge of door and stuck in the locked position. With that, I can't seem to pull the whole knob system out of the door. I have one knob off but the rest of the system is stuck in the door hole since the plunger is still engaged. My goal is replacement. How do I get this old knob system out of the door. It's ok if I damage the knob system, but I don't want to chip wood.
-dm

Old 04-23-05, 12:45 PM
OK, here's my thoughts. I'm thinking now that the door has sagged, and the bolt is hung in the strike hole. This would prevent you turning the knob, turning the key to unlock the lock, and all kinds of bad things like that. If I'm right, there are two things you can do. First of all, try pushing on the door really hard. I mean like you were trying to break it down hard. (Just don't push hard enough to split the door). Shoulders are good for that. If that doesn't result in freeing the bolt, try lifting the door by the handle. Sometimes they bind along the bottom.

Now comes the difficult question: Why can't you just pull the lock out of the door? What is preventing that? The only thing I can think of is you've got the wrong knob off. Try taking the other knob off the lock. There should be a couple screws under the rose plate. Remove them, and you should be able to slice the lock out of the door.

Again, let me know how you do, and whether or not I'm close on this one. I do hope I'm on the right track.

cuedude

P.S. Also, I was just thinking that if the latch bolt is broken, you are going to have to retract it before you can open the door. Take a big screw driver, flat-blade, and here's where the work comes in, start logically taking the latch apart. Start with the tab you can see on the back side of the latch. If you look closely, you might be able to see that it is more than a "One piece" cover on that round part you should be looking at. (Not the lock body, the latch bolt part which extends into the door jam)

Last edited by cuedude; 04-23-05 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Incomplete response
Old 04-23-05, 06:37 PM
dmarcantuono
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry I'm not explaining this too well.
First, the door is in the open position, fortunately. Can't close it because the bolt won't retract. The 'part' (whatever it is) must have failed when the door was in open position.
Second, the bolt won't retract. It is stuck in the 'latched' position. Whatever mechanism pulls the bolt in must have failed because when the key is turned (or the inside lock is unlocked) the bolt doesn't retract. Imagine the door open and the bolt rigid, in the locked position. I can't even fully close the door because the bolt won't retract as the door closes, like normal operation for a door. The bolt retracts (spring mechanism) as the door closes into the jamb.
Lastly, only the knob on the inside of door has screws, which I removed. The screws hold both knobs to the door. The knob with the screw heads is now off, but the other knob currently cannot be removed because it is attached to the 'guts' of the whole system, which is attached to the bolt which is rigidly sticking out the hole and cannot be retracted (without me learning of some trick I'm unaware of but hope you can tell me).
By the way, the "inside" side of the lock mechanism is one which is found in many bathrooms (homes made in last 25 yrs). A person just needs to turn the dial so it goes horizontal to be unlocked or turn is vertical to lock it.
One point to say again is that the lock mechanism 'appears' to work, as it turns like usual. To the touch, it locks and unlocks. Same for the key mechanism. It seems to work too, to the touch. But inside the guts, unlocking the lock isn't tripping whatever is needed to retract the bolt.
Don't worry if this still isn't making sense. I appreciate your help and time. I was originally going to call someone for help (since I can't close or lock this door, like at night, which I'm not comfortable with). But I thought I would try this route first in case there was something I could do.

Thank you.
dmarcantuono

Old 04-24-05, 12:02 AM
Good Morning,

I'm glad your door is open. At least that's not a problem. Now, let's discuss locks. I know of three design types. The most common I've seen is the type where the latch is held in place by little tabs which extend into the body of the lock. Picture a circle with a notch on one side. This is where the latch slides into. The second is the type where the latch extends almost completely across the hole through the door, and the lock actually slips through it. (This may be what you have.) The third type is actually mortised into the edge of the door. The handles are connected by a spindle. This spindle is removed by sliding it out, exposing a little square opening about 1/4" square. If this is the type of lock you have, there is a large plate on the edge of the door, removable with two screws. I can't picture this type of lock used in your door. However, reguardless of which type you have, the latch is probably broken. So, the trouble your having is how to retract the latch, at least to the point of allowing you to remove the lock. This can be done through the large hole, (Cross-bore) using small but sturdy flat blade screwdrivers. Not to undo anything, but pry obstructions out of the lock. Use caution not to pry against the edge of the hole or you will damage it beyond original size. Should that happen, use a pair of what I know as a scar ring. These are available at all the box stores, and lock shops.

On a personal note, as a locksmith, I hate to destroy anything. I was told throughout my life that if something doesn't go easily, don't force it. I allways try to follow those words, but sometimes, it simply cannot be avoided. There does come a time when tearing something apart is warrented, and necessary. Go for it. All locks are removable some way. Some easier than others.

If you are still having trouble, let me know, because if I don't know the answer to a question, I can get it.

cuedude