Removing door handle/lock from french door

Old 04-23-05, 10:39 AM
Removing door handle/lock from french door

I have an Anderson wood french door between my dining room and sunroom. The handle is brass, lever type on both sides, locking device on one side, a dead bolt type that activates when you turn a knob. The lock broke a few months ago, followed by the door handles falling off. I would love to replace the whole mechanism, but I cannot for the life of me, get it off. I can get the plate lose on both sides, and the lever handles off completly, but the knob that turns the dead bolt refuses to come off, nor can I get the plates off from behind it. There are no screws, no identations, no little springy devices.

HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-05, 01:58 AM
Good Morning,

From the sound of what you have for a deadbolt, you may have a schlage brand that has a cover on the inside. This cover comes off using a small flatblade screw driver. (Carefully so as not to scratch or bend it). This plate hides the screws.

There is another model by schlage that uses little plugs in the screw heads. These also can be removed with a small flatblade.

Another type I'm familiar with is an "Arrow" brand. This is a little bit ingenious. They have incorporated an internal cover for the screws. This cover is turned with the Key. Insert it in the inside lock, and turn slightly to the right. This opens the little doors allowing access to the screws.

Hope this helps.

cuedude

Old 04-24-05, 04:58 AM
Name of lock: The Atrium Lock

Oh this is so frustrating!

Armed myself with screwdrivers, flashlight, straightened paper clips, pliers, jack daniels... just kidding on the last, but I feel like I need it!

This door handle/lock is made by "The Atrium Lock" ... Made in the USA. The hardware is about 8 1/2 inches long. Has lever type handles on both sides. The lock is controlled by a knob that you turn on one side, a key/lock on the other side.

I took the handles off this morning. Unscrewed whatever screws were visible and pried the inside faceplate off as much as possible. Cannot get it all the way off because I cannot get the knob/lock off. After scrubbing the knob with a brush, I did notice a little hole on the shaft....got all excited, stuck my paperclip in it... and it went clear thru the other side. Did not release anything.

Added: after prying the face plate off, I was able to unscrew a little ittsy bittsy screw from the bottom of the knob/lock...but...it didn't release anything. It does feel like there is a spring inside of this hole which I've tried depressing while turning, twisting, pulling knob and lock. Inserted key (cannot turn). Any suggestions??

HELP!!!

Last edited by Twizzler3; 04-24-05 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-24-05, 01:04 PM
Sorry I haven't been around all day, had to work. From the sounds of what you are talking about, it sounds similar to a type of mortis lock made by omnia. Is the lock cylender kind of oval or egg shaped? If so, what you have for a lock is called a profile cylender. On the edge of the door, there should be flat head screw, slotted, just above the screw which holds the lock body into the door. Remove that, and using the thumb turn, or key, which ever turns the most, (and you will have to find this for yourself), turn in one direction about 10 digrees, all the while pulling the lock toward the inside of the house. If that doesn't work, turn the key/thumbturn 10 digrees the other direction, and try again. It should be removable in one direction or the other. Once that is removed, unscrew the two large screws holding the plate part of the lock on the edge of the door. (One top, the other bottom). Once those two screws are removed, with the lock cylender out, the lock should come out from the edge of the door.

Hope this helps.

cuedude

Old 04-25-05, 01:48 AM
So Proud Of Myself!

I got the darn thing out! After reading thru almost every other post here, I figured that that spring I was feeling HAD to do something, so while depressing it, I banged on the knob with a hammer (as it would not turn otherwise). Next thing I knew, it was sliding out and I was one happy camper!

Thanks for all the help!!

Old 04-25-05, 11:05 AM
Hi Twizzler3,

Well, even though I wasn't much help, I'm glad you got it out. It's a little scarry taking a hammer to a door, isn't it?

cuedude

Old 04-25-05, 11:48 PM
It was scary, but I was at my wit's end! The lock/handle was already broken and I figured it's better to destroy the lock, than the actual door. I'm just so happy (and proud of myself!) that it came out. I couldn't have done it without this forum and the great help on it! Thanks again!

Old 05-19-13, 05:42 PM
Atrium

It's been awhile since you all had this discussion, but we now have the same problem. We moved into a house that has the same kind of lock--no key--the owner didn't leave one to this door.
The deadbolt became stuck in the closed position, and we got the brass screws and plates out, but the thumbturn part doesn't seem to have any parts to undo to get out...please help.
Thanks

Old 05-24-13, 09:11 PM
See my comment on "NEED HELP" post, ie., drilling the cylinder