Defiant lock trouble

Old 05-24-05, 06:57 PM
G
Goatleg1
Visiting Guest
Defiant lock trouble

I am trying to rekey a Defiant Lock. I do not have the original key. I do not know how to remove the cylinder without the key. I can see the upper pins on top of the lock. With a Kwikset you just remove the cap and springs but the pins are visible on this stupid thing. I don't get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 01:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have never done a Defiant lock so I am not sure of the exact setup. I am not sure what you mean by seeing the pins, at the top? Some cylinders have small holes at the top; or a space on the edge of the cover, those use a pressed-down cover that can be problematic.

Often, without an original key, a cylinder will have to be picked or shimmed open to rekey it.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, hopefully WGW and Cuedude are not on vacation and have some experience with this brand that they can share.

Old 05-26-05, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I too have not done enough defiant locks to give advice on them. However, I did find something that brought back a bit of memory to me. If I remember correctly, there is a c-clip, and a metal cap on the back end of the plug. You will still have to shim the lock, but that is how the plug is held in the cylinder. As far as the pins being exposed, I think what you are seeing is caps as you would find on an IC core. You still have the pin/spring configuration as in any cylindrical lock. I hope this helps some.

cuedude