install mortise lock on predrilled door

Old 05-30-05, 09:55 PM
fbscd
Visiting Guest
install mortise lock on predrilled door

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem before. I bought a new front door for my house and after the door arrrived we decided to install a mortise lockset. The problem is that the door already came predrilled with 2 holes. The holes are 7-8 inches apart. Is there anything that can be done or is the mortise idea a goner. Thanks and hopefully someone has an idea for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-05, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I bought a new front door for my house and after the door arrrived we decided to install a mortise lockset. The problem is that the door already came predrilled with 2 holes. The holes are 7-8 inches apart. Is there anything that can be done

Good Morning,

The problem can be taken care of, but it's not easy. If you want to install a mortis type lock, (one that the door must have the long mortis cutout made in the edge of the door), the best way to take care of it is to fill the holes with wood plugs, and either epoxy, or even automotive bondo will work.

However there are a few things to keep in mind here. It is going to take a bit of work to get it to look right, and the second is that when a door is mortised out for a large lock body, it takes away from the security of the door. I know that may sound strange, but if you think of how much wood is removed to install this lock, it leaves a large weak spot where the lock is. As a personal recommendation, I say go back to the big box store, and see what other lock designs you may like. It may not be "the" lock you wanted, but it adds security if it's a cylindrical type lock vs. a mortis type lock.

I hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

cuedude