Remove door knob from Segal Mortise lock?

Old 06-14-05, 03:58 PM
the_wildcard
Visiting Guest
Remove door knob from Segal Mortise lock?

Hi there, I have a Segal Mortise lock on my front door and I wish to remove the INTERIOR doorknob.

The doorknob had a screw which I assumed connected the knob to a stem. I took out the screw, but the doorknob is still attached. I can't figure out how to take off the doorknob.

I tried taking off the faceplate but I cannot completely take off the plate because the knob is in the way.

I also tried looking for a spring or something which many similar posters have suggested but I can't find it.

Any ideas?

Old 06-15-05, 09:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Segal is not a brand I have worked on. When you say mortise lock-I think of a large lock with a separate cylinder from the knobs-typically the lock is around 8" high on the edge of the door.

Typically, with a set screw on the interior knob, there will be a square spindle, often threaded. Often on old locks there may be burrs or wear that requires a bit of effort to overcome, use some lube on the the area and then try to remove it. Usually the set screw is fairly large and you will be able to see part of the threads if it has them. A spindle w/o threads will require pulling straight out on the knob.

Old 06-16-05, 09:16 PM
the_wildcard
Visiting Guest
So if I removed the screw, then the knob should come off the stem right?

Old 06-17-05, 05:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, either by pulling if unthreaded spindle or turning if threaded; for most mortise lock spindles that use a set screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: