What kind of lock is this.

Old 06-21-05, 02:35 PM
What kind of lock is this.

I built a shed and want a secure lock for it. The one I'm looking for has a handle on the outside that when you turn it to open, two metal bars (vertical) that are attached to the handle, slide out of holes in the top and floor of the wall. When you turn to close they obviously extend into holes. Similar to a garage door lock. I have searched and searched. No one a lowes or hd or ace knows what to call it. If anyone can figure out what I'm describing and where to get one please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 04:30 PM
Hi Jamesn71,

I only know this as a 3-point lock. The only ones I have seen operate with a "Panic bar" or a deadbolt. As far as where to find one, you may have to go to a door manufacturer, or some other similar type of place. I do know places that sell them, but they do not sell to the general public. Have you discussed this with a Locksmith? They may also be able to help you out.

Another idea is to discuss this with a building contractor. They have alot of contacts and might be able to help.

Hope this points you in a successfull direction. Let us know where you find one.

cuedude

Old 06-21-05, 06:01 PM
Old 06-21-05, 07:00 PM
That's it. But I know they make them a little simpler. I went to Lowes and one of the sheds they had there had the lock on it. on the back side there is like a round disk and the metal rods are mounted with nuts so they can swivel. What I like about this lock is that it will hold both doors shut just by turning the one handle. I don't have to mess with securing the other door because the one overlaps the other. If I go with a simple lock the doors tend to sag open slightly. I want them snug against the shed.
Thanks for the help.

James

Last edited by Jamesn71; 06-21-05 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 03:31 AM
Good Morning Jamesn71,

I just read the thread and how it's progressing so far. Something you may consider is still putting Barrell bolts on the other door that go into the header, and the floor. This might sound like over kill, but it adds security, strength, and simplicity to the job. I know this is not what you asked about, but I recommend them because it alligns the other door.

cuedude

Old 06-22-05, 09:36 AM
My shed has the barrel bolts to keep the second door in place-works real good. There are also sturdier and/or prettier versions available-search for "surface bolts", but if looks are not an issue then large barrel bolts should do the job nicely.

Old 06-22-05, 12:21 PM
Thats what I will do if I can't find the original. I'm assuming barrel bolts are the ones that remind me of bolt action rifles?...

Thanks.

Old 06-22-05, 01:10 PM
Those are the ones.