double glazed stupidity

Old 07-01-05, 04:17 AM
adamfarmer
Visiting Guest
double glazed stupidity

Hello,

One of the first things I did at my new home is to put one of the bedroom double glazing window keys into one of the conservatory window locks - it slid in fine and I can turn it to lock and unlock - no problem. But can't get it out!

Does anyone have any ideas? They're only the basic/cheap type keys/locks and i'm on the verge of taking the extreme action of trying to tear the key out using pliers. Can't do it using my hand - it's stuck fast.

Sorry to be so dumb - help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 02:01 PM
Hi Adam,

Don't feel dumb at all. It's happened to me more than once, and I do it for a living. A little trick I use is to hold my index finger of my opposite hand on the face of the lock while pulling on the key with the other hand. This may help get the key out.

Now, the cause of the problem is the center "plug" of the lock being lose. If you can get to the back of the lock, and it is one of the cheeper ones, you will either see a screw holding the tailpiece on the lock, or a nut performing the same function. Tighten whichever, until snug, but not so much as to bind up the lock. Give those ideas a shot, and let us know how it turns out.

cuedude

Old 07-03-05, 04:36 AM
adamfarmer
Visiting Guest
Hello there,

Thanks for the advice - a combination of pushing the lock and pulling VERY hard released the key with no apparant damage done.

For anyone else's information - the key was turned to the unlocked position.

Thanks again,

Adam

Old 07-03-05, 05:07 AM
Good Morning Adam,

Glad you got the thing out. And now that it is out, if you have any WD-40, or something like it, spray it into the key hole. Let it sit for a few seconds, and run the key in and out a few times. This will help free up the little pins in the lock. Here in Key West, Salt air is really hard on locks, especially from those big storms we get here. Again, glad to have helped out.

cuedude