deadbolt in steel door

Old 07-17-05, 06:00 PM
CaptEllie
Visiting Guest
deadbolt in steel door

Hi I sent a message three days ago and had no response. I'm wondering if I'm getting through? My question is I have tried to instal a deadbolt in a steel door and was sucesful at drilling the holes but where the bolt came through the door I was uneable to secure the plate with the screws provided. In a wood door you just chisel out the wood to make it flush. With a steel door if you remove the metal part of the door there is no way to attach the bolt. Can you help?????

Old 07-17-05, 06:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi CaptEllie,

I thought I answered that post for you. Sorry. What you need is a "Drive in" bolt. You may already have one. What brand of Lock is it? The Kwikset bolt is one that is a drive in bolt. (At least if it's newly purchased). If it's a Schlage, then either go to the local "Box" store, or a Locksmith, thell them what you are doing, what you have, and they can get you a drive in bolt. If you have a baldwin or something else, take the existing bolt with you so that you can compare both bolts. Pay close attention to the screw holes, and the part where the actuator bar goes through. They arent too costly, and they will end your dilema. The parts will be a little silver ring, a plastic collar that snaps around the ring, and you will need something to drive it into the door. I use a hammer, tapping lightly, and making sure it goes in straight.

Again, I'm sorry about not answering sooner. Let me know how it turns out.

cuedude

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: