Schlage knob removal impossible

Old 08-01-05, 10:48 AM
shawnl
Visiting Guest
Schlage knob removal impossible

Schlage Camelot Handleset With Right Hand Accent Lever In Antique Pewter
Model F362 CAM 620 ACC R

Ok, this is what I bought. Almost everything installed pretty easily, however now I get stuck on a stupid thing. On the bottom main door part, the knob on the inside part of the house (not lock), has 2 long screws, which do NOT fit in the knob without taking the knob off (at least, not that I can make it). So now I have gone back to the hardware store, and one guy actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about, however I can't figure it out. He said that the knob is spring loaded (which sounds reasonable), and that somehow pushing in/or pulling out - i forgot which, and turning the knob to "lock it" so that we could pull off the knob - for the install into the door, then slap the knob back on. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Give me some better detailed ideas. Thank much.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited by shawnl; 08-02-05 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Fixed it
Old 08-01-05, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shawnl
Schlage Camelot Handleset With Right Hand Accent Lever In Antique Pewter
Model F362 CAM 620 ACC R

Ok, this is what I bought. Almost everything installed pretty easily, however now I get stuck on a stupid thing. On the bottom main door part, the knob on the inside part of the house (not lock), has 2 long screws, which do NOT fit in the knob without taking the knob off (at least, not that I can make it). So now I have gone back to the hardware store, and one guy actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about, however I can't figure it out. He said that the knob is spring loaded (which sounds reasonable), and that somehow pushing in/or pulling out - i forgot which, and turning the knob to "lock it" so that we could pull off the knob - for the install into the door, then slap the knob back on. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Give me some better detailed ideas. Thank much.
Hi Shawnl,

If all you are trying to do is remove the outside knob, (the one with the lock), then yes, the lock has to be turned. By this I mean stick the key in the lock, and turn it 90 digrees either way. Then using something to PUSH in the retainer, the knob will come off. (Did the handleset come with a tool? If it did, there should be a pointed end to use as a retainer tool). I'm not sure from your description as to why you need to do this, other than get the lock "upright". (Cuts on the key on the upside when inserting into the lock). I always install locks in this manor as water tends to settle away from the parts in the lock that actually hold it in the locked position. Am I right?

I hope this helps you. Let me know if there is anything else you have trouble with.

cuedude

Old 08-01-05, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
This is very hard to picture without seeing it. Surely your instructions explain the procedure??

At any rate, the Schlage door latch sets that I've worked with all require you to remove the knob on the side the screws are installed on. There should be tool included in your lockset (usually it's gold and looks like a wire with a curly-q on it) that enables you to push a pin in so that the knob will slide off. Remove the knob, screw the screws in, install the cover and twist, then you take the knob, slide it back on and push it in until it snaps into place.

Old 08-01-05, 06:10 PM
W
WGW
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Greetings shawnl;
The knob of the Gripset you bought is installed much the same as Schlages "F" series knobsets...meaning there is no retainer to mess with.
The hardware rep may have been referring to a spring loaded spindle in the knob that will engage the springlatch.
Depending on the door thickness, sometimes the connecting screws may be a little longer than is needed, but they'll work regardless.
What you may have to do is put the screws into the knob rose and then start them into the holes while holding the knob away from the door a bit. As you tighten them, they will pull the knob up tight.

Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: