Schlage - Preventing lockouts - Please help

Old 08-14-05, 09:44 AM
deputy5211
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Schlage - Preventing lockouts - Please help

ALL:

Forgive me if I do not use the correct technical terms -- hopefully you can catch my drift. . .

Have Schlage locking doorknobs on garage passage door and exterior doors to patios. When these are locked, exterior doorknob is locked, but not interior. Interior knob still rotates and leads to lockouts. Yesterday our babysitter was locked out with our 3 yr old in 100 degree heat. This is bad.

Is there a way to modify these locksets so that both doorknobs are locked when the unit is locked?

Thanks!
Tony
Dallas, TX

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by deputy5211
ALL:

Forgive me if I do not use the correct technical terms -- hopefully you can catch my drift. . .

Have Schlage locking doorknobs on garage passage door and exterior doors to patios. When these are locked, exterior doorknob is locked, but not interior. Interior knob still rotates and leads to lockouts. Yesterday our babysitter was locked out with our 3 yr old in 100 degree heat. This is bad.

Is there a way to modify these locksets so that both doorknobs are locked when the unit is locked?

Thanks!
Tony
Dallas, TX
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the board. I am getting mixed understanding of your post. There are a couple different types of knobsets available today. The first is the type with the button on the inner knob. If it has a pinched look, the button can be turned to the virticle direction, and when the inner knob is turned to open, the button should pop out, unlocking the outer knob. This is called an entrance knob. If the button is horizantal, it won't matter if the inner knob is turned or not...the outer knob is locked. If it's like a simple button, the button should pop out whenever the inner knob is turned.

The second type, I know of as a storeroom knobset. With these, the inner knob is always unlocked, and the outer knob can only be opened with a key.

That being said, and not being completely sure of what you have, I recommend replacing them. Schlage makes a few different grades. If the lock is leading into the outside of the house, I recommend a grade 2 as a minimum. Grade 1 locks are better, but the cost might scare you away. Check with your local hardware store, and give the prices a look-see. You may be suprised how inexpensive you can replace your hardware. And they are simple to do it yourself. If you can find one with an adjustable backset, it won't matter what you have now. Most homes have a 2 3/8" backset. Some however have a 2 3/4". This is fairly rare in a home situation though, so don't let that get to you.

I hope this gives you a start as to what your decision will be. Take care, good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

cuedude

Old 08-14-05, 04:08 PM
deputy5211
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the information.

I went back to H.D. and it appears that all of their Schlage units have the "feature where the inner knob always turns, even if the outer know is locked. The QuikSet units all lock both doorknobs when the rotating center button on the interior knob is vertical.

Looks like I'll be migrating all of our locksets to QuikSet, unless anyone has any warnings about QuikSet lock from Home Depot. I think I'll swing by Lowe's during the week to see what they have to offer.

If anyone on this board is in the business and can give me a competitive price, please email me off-line. I'd rather spend it here than at the mega big box stores. I will need a handle set and dual keyway deadbolt for the front door, and three keyed doorknob sets for doors leading outside.

Please quote Grade 1 and Grade 2. Money is ALWAYS an object

THank you.

Old 08-14-05, 04:42 PM
Hi Tony,

I cannot quote prices, (board policy), however I may be able to give you reasons why some cost more than others. The big box stores should be able to give you a better price as they carry a larger volume. When you go looking, see if the store carries an "F" Series Schlage. I'll just about bet they do. Those are plenty Heavy enough for your application. They come in both Lever and knob design. And they are reasonably priced.

As far as the other brand, they will do, but remember, they are lighter duty, cost much less, (obviously), and they are much easier for the criminalistic to get through/past. That's why I try and recommend at least a schlage. (Not because of price, but security). As a Bonded Locksmith, I have to be security minded.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter where you shop for locks, just get the best you can with what you have. Don't make the most common mistake of sacraficing security for prices. It's worth the extra $$$.

cuedude

Old 08-14-05, 05:35 PM
Your deadbolt lock is your primary security on the door. I would change the Schlage entrance sets for passage sets (no lock, just latch), which will prevent lockouts, and keep the deadbolts you have.

Old 08-14-05, 05:49 PM
WGW
On our house I did exactly what schiejr is recommending simply because the wife would'nt take the time to put the key into the deadbolt and lock it when leaving and left the house secured only by the entrance knobset. A deadbolt protects far better than any entrance knobset anyway.
So solve your problem the easy way and replace only your knobsets.

BTW; In my opinion, Schlage makes a far superior lock than most of the other hardware the big box stores carry.

Regards

Old 08-15-05, 12:12 PM
deputy5211
Visiting Guest
Ok then, QuikSet is out.

Not willing to go with new Schlage unless interior doorknob is locked when extreior one is. Otherwise, I'd be where I am now.

Not crazy about putting passage sets and relying solely on the deadbolts. Sometimes the kids or housekeeper need to leave without a key, and they would be unable to lock door behind them without a key.

So. . . I'm back to square one -- What is a good lock set that will lock both sdoorknobs when locked with the rotating center bit?

Old 08-15-05, 02:22 PM
Shop and compare, before you buy

Hi again, Here's a link to most anything Schlage:

http://www.mostanythinghardware.com/...0d%20locks.asp You may have to copy and paste, I'm not sure how it's going to come across. But, this pretty much lists what is offered in the line of Schlage locks, with a discription of how they work. Hope this helps.

cuedude

Old 08-17-05, 08:55 PM
Another option to consider is a combination lock box on the exterior of your home with a key in it. The problem is, you might not want the babysitter to have access to your home all the time.

Old 08-18-05, 04:21 PM
WGW
A lockbox is'nt a bad idea, and they are made to either hang over the knobset (like realtors use) or they can be mounted more permanently onto any solid surface. You'd have to specify the mounting style when ordering.
They are very user friendly in that you can change the combination in under a minute anytime you wish to restrict access to the key at certain times.

Regards

Old 09-30-05, 11:54 AM
Cheap solution

I had a similar problem. Not wanting to change that lock since it matched all of my other locks, was brand new and all locks keyed alike, I took off the handle, and clipped off the rod that goes from the button on the inner knob to the lock. This way, the inner knob button just turns, but does not lock the handle. Normally we do not use this when we lock the house since we have deadbolts, but if I wanted to lock this handle, I can still do it from the outside using the key. Obviously I would need to use the key to unlock it also. Not sure if this will work in you situation, but it's working great for us.