Schlage - removing keyway/cylinder

Old 08-21-05, 01:17 PM
rwrjr
Visiting Guest
Schlage - removing keyway/cylinder

I'd like to rekey my Schlage entrance locks but I can't see how to remove the keyway/cylider combo from the knob.

I can see visable springs on the top of the cylinder. Can you insert something to compress the top springs and spring guide down far enough to slip the keyway/cylinder assembly out of the knob?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-05, 01:48 PM
You've been had by tecnology

Originally Posted by rwrjr
I'd like to rekey my Schlage entrance locks but I can't see how to remove the keyway/cylider combo from the knob.

I can see visable springs on the top of the cylinder. Can you insert something to compress the top springs and spring guide down far enough to slip the keyway/cylinder assembly out of the knob?

What you have is the new "F" series schlage locks. These are fairly new on the market, and maybe you have never run into them before. In order to remove the Cylinder, insert the key, and turn 90 degrees. Next, use a paperclip, or something to depress the retainer. (On these, you can use a small flatblade). Remove the whole outside knob. Here's where the "New" comes in. The top of the lock cylinder, called the bible, collapses, and can be depressed. (The part where the springs are). Take something really flat and narrow, but sturdy, and use that to start the cylinder out of the knob. (I use a piece of spring steel, but even something like a piece of a plastic soda bottle could work). Slide the cylinder back and out of the knob.

This should get you going.

cuedude