Replacing Older Door with New Lockset

Old 10-17-05, 06:16 AM
Barb219
Visiting Guest
Replacing Older Door with New Lockset

My front entrance door is 15 years old. It has a Dexter Lock and door handle. For some time the handle would not push in and we would literally be locked out. I went to Lowes to get a replacement, but when I brought it home to install it was too long. It goes into the round hole but the bottom of the handle goes below the screw hole that is there. This is a steel door. The guy at Lowes said they do not make them to fit those doors any longer. He said to get a new door (yeah right) or drill a new hole. The hole that is there was factory installed. Can I find a new set for the door? If not, how do I drill a new hole in a steel door that will hold a screw? Help as right now I have duct tape covering the large hole.
Thanks, Barbara

Old 10-17-05, 06:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcom to the forums, Barb219!

I am not familiar enough with the Dexter line to comment on availability of a particular dimension. Best to check with a dealer with a catalog or the manufacturers website/customer service for specific info. I do know that Schlage bought Dexter a while back so it is possible their product line has changed some.

As for a new hole in the metal door-you can drill and tap a metal door quite easily. It may not be very strong though if the metal is thin.

Many handles have threads for a bolt that is screwed in from the inside. In this case, you do not have to worry about threads, just the holes in the door which any high speed steel drill bit will take care of for you.

Without a wood core, better than tapping the sheet metal would be a sex bolt which enables through bolting and is very strong. On a soft core door, be careful not to overtighten to avoid door compression.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: