help with this lock

Old 10-28-05, 12:28 PM
help with this lock

Hey guys - I'll post a photo asap, can't find one online.

I've got a "new" old door that I'm installing. It has the classic old hardware - a mortice lock with skeleton key & a seperate deadbolt.

I can take care of the mortice lock, no problem. The issue is the deadbolt. It's an old style, small, with an oval plate. The bolt is round. Inside has a thumbturn, outside uses the key. I don't have the key.

Anyone know what kind of lock I'm talking about? Can I buy a replacement, or get it re-keyed? Or get a key for it!?! It looks nice, don't want to put in a modern deadbolt if I can help it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 01:01 PM
Does not ring a bell with me. The main factor is whether or not there are blanks available that fit the lock. Bring it in to your local locksmith and let him have a look. If there is a blank that fits or one that can be modified, he should be able to make you a key.

Old 10-31-05, 05:48 AM
I think that's what I'll do. I pulled the two locksets out of the door this weekend and took them to the big box store. of course, there was nothing there that would work.

the mortice lock has a deadbolt, but it's a skeleton key type. The deadbolt lock, isn't much of a deadbolt, it can be retracted with a credit card when extended.

I'd like to use the same hole that the deadbolt uses, but replace it with a new, more modern deadbolt.

Hopefully, my local locksmith can help. thanks for the advice.