Deadbolt Removal

Old 12-24-05, 09:28 PM
Scott
Visiting Guest
Deadbolt Removal

I have a Faultless double cylinder (keys on both) deadbolt lock. The deadbolt will not retract when the key is turned so I can't get the door open. I've taken both of the cylinders off but cannot get the deadbolt mechanism to retract from the door jamb even when I use a small screwdriver on the deadbolt mechanism. I called a locksmith and he said that if that is the case he would just tear up the metal and try to pull it out. Now, I've got a torn up deadbolt mechanism and the deadbolt still can't be "pulled out." Remember, I can't get the door open to pull it out the normal way. Can anybody help? Will I have to take the door hinges off and remove the door or can anybody think of another way?

My situation is very similar to Tsita's "Help, I'm Locked In" thread which was posted on 12/22/05.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-05, 11:23 AM
If the door is loose enough to remove it by pulling the hinge pins, go for it.

The locksmith told you right, if you tear it up enough, bend and break it and remove it from the door, you will be able to pull the bolt out through the holes in the door. Sounds like you need to keep working at it. Usually a pliers to grip and twist is the best way.

Old 12-25-05, 04:08 PM
Scott
Visiting Guest
Worked on it for awhile and got it out. Thanks.

Old 12-25-05, 05:37 PM
Glad to hear you got it.