Frozen Lock :bad method to unfreeze?

Old 01-11-06, 08:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Frozen Lock :bad method to unfreeze?

When I come across an iced padlock, I use a WD-40 blowtorch ( WD-40 and a cigarette lighter) to thaw the lock if I cannot get the key in. If the key goes in and doesn't turn I light the key to thaw the lock. Would either of these methods hurt the padlock in any way? I have been doing this for years, so I do not think that there are any adverse effects, but I just want to make sure. Thank you in advance for any input in this matter.

Have a good one, and don't have too much fun y'all!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 09:06 AM
While I do not think most locks will be harmed with your "torch" method, I find padlocks easier to thaw with a rag soaked with hot water, squeezed out and wrapped around the lock for a minute. Then squirt WD-40 or a lock de-icer into the lock after I open it. Good luck.

Old 01-11-06, 04:50 PM
That should be fine, aside from the fire hazard, (why not just use the lighter-less dramatic I suppose?) but as mentioned, something to flush out moisture and dirt, which can retain moisture, is a good idea or the same thing may happen.

My father-in-law once used a propane torch to heat a car key up-a bit too much as it partially melted. I suggested he stick to soldering pipes.

Interesting location you have there-"Connectitax" sounds like a very scary place

Old 01-13-06, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let's put it this way. The Department of Public Communities just approved a 22% rate hike for the power company and a 20% rate hike for city water on top of insane heating oil and gas prices and cigarettes being about $5 a pack ($4 and change if on sale). I started using the lighter method for locks since I smoke and always have a lighter on me. The only incorrect syllable in my location is the last one.