lost mailbox key and have to replace lock

Old 01-17-06, 04:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lost mailbox key and have to replace lock

I lost the key to my mailbox and one of tenants in my condo told me to replace it with a new lock from Homedepot. Im not sure how to replace a lock but he tol me that they come with instructions an can be removed with pliers.

Can anyone describe what I need to do to remove this mailbox lock. its one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80HDUS/...rchResults.jsp

but Im not sure what to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 05:43 PM
S
Welcome to the forum, johnny.

Your url did not show me a mailbox lock but most of the ones I am familiar with have a spring clip on the inside as a retainer. Remove the clip, then the lock and then install the new lock.

Some locks come with different cams to match up to different manufacturers. If you know your mailman or have some ID to show him, he may let you remove the clip quick with a pliers and remove the old lock when he is delivering the mail and then you can install the new one after he has relocked the boxes.

Old 01-17-06, 07:56 PM
If you know your mailman or have some ID to show him, he may let you remove the clip quick with a pliers and remove the old lock when he is delivering the mail

This is good advise. Another thing I might add to this is that these locks come standard with several tail pieces, so pay attention to which shape the old lock has, and which way it is facing. You may also note that these little locks can be overtightened when the tail piece is attached. You'll know, because the key will be difficult to put in the lock, then it may not turn. Just loosen it little by little, testing with the key as you progress.

cuedude