Deadbolt removal help

Old 01-29-06, 08:58 AM
B
BCC
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deadbolt removal help

I'm trying to remove a deadbolt in my steel door, I've removed the two phillips head screws on the inside plate (thumb lever side) and it won't come apart. It should just pry off, shouldn't it? I believe it's a Kwikset, but is has no markings. The inside brass plate is a cover, there is another plate underneath it. I can see the shaft that connects the thumb lever to the lock, it is flat. There seems to be the remnants of a red fiber washser and maybe some sort of lock washer loose on the shaft. The deadbolt has a round indentation in the end, sort of like a countersunk hole that goes 1/8 inch or so. How do I get it apart? Is there some trick I don't know about?

Old 01-29-06, 05:28 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BCC
I'm trying to remove a deadbolt in my steel door, I've removed the two phillips head screws on the inside plate (thumb lever side) and it won't come apart. It should just pry off, shouldn't it? I believe it's a Kwikset, but is has no markings. The inside brass plate is a cover, there is another plate underneath it. I can see the shaft that connects the thumb lever to the lock, it is flat. There seems to be the remnants of a red fiber washser and maybe some sort of lock washer loose on the shaft. The deadbolt has a round indentation in the end, sort of like a countersunk hole that goes 1/8 inch or so. How do I get it apart? Is there some trick I don't know about?
Hi BCC, and welcome to the DIY board.

As I read your post, I gather there is an inner plate under the thumbturn piece. If so, there are more screws to remove. Does the thumbturn come off? If not, the tailpiece (Actuator bar) of the lock is broken, and possibly bent. In that event, all you can do is pull hard enough to get it off. Once it is off, you will see the other screws. Just remove them, and the lock should come right off.

Good luck with this. Let us know how it turns out.

cuedude

Old 01-31-06, 06:03 PM
B
BCC
Got it! Thanks for the help. I used the claw on my claw hammer under the thumb latch to pry it off. Gave it a couple of good yanks and it popped off. Didn't want to try to force it off until I was sure there wasn't some sort of release mechanism that I couldn't see.

BC

Old 02-01-06, 03:59 AM
Ouch

Hi BCC,

Although I've never resorted to using a claw hammer, I guess it was as good a method as any. And I hope the door is ok. Glad it all worked out.

cuedude

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: