Odd problem with doorknob

Old 02-28-06, 10:56 AM
Odd problem with doorknob

My closet doorknob has been very resistent when I try to turn the doorknob to open it. It feels like its locked but there is no lock on this knob. It has to be turned very forcefully for sometimes a minute before it will open. Last night I needed to get in my closet and the doorknob refused to open at all. So I decided to unscrew the knob and take it off. Well, I did that and the part with the turning mechanism fell on the otherside of the door. So now I really cant get in my closet.

My question then would be, how do I open the door though it has no knob? Is there a way I can manually push whatever needs to be pushed or turned to open the door? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-06, 04:57 PM
WGW
Hi Eyelevel;
If the Active side of the knob fell into the closet then the knob was installed backwards.
That aside, it's a little hard to advise you how to go about opening the door without actually seeing it for myself.
While looking through the knob hole, can you describe what you see?
For instance, do you see a square cutout that the knob might engage? Do you see what might be described as metal "fingers" at the very edge of the cutout?
A manufacturer name would certainly make things easier, but that is usually stamped onto the latch plate and you'd need the door open to see it.
If you can post back with a little more information, it might be easier to guide you through getting the door open.

Regards

Old 03-01-06, 04:04 AM
Good Morning,

WGW is correct about the knob being installed backwards. The screws should be on the inside of the closet. One thing I can add is if you see what looks like a half-moon, or the little fingers on the side, you can use a flatblade screwdriver to retract the latch. If you see the little square cutout, use a larger flatblade to rotate the square piece away from the latch side. It won't matter which direction you turn it, it will/should retract the latch. I hope this helps. And do let us know how it goes?

cuedude

Old 03-03-06, 05:25 PM
wgw and cuedude are mostly correct in thier posts, but all of the newer interior knobs are designed with the screws to the opening in case of failure of the action. i can't count the many times that they have been put in backwards where i have had to destroy the knob to get them open. anyways, take a screw driver and push toward the hinged part of the door and pull the door open, if it has the square type stick it in the thing and twist it like it was a knob and pull it open. you didn't say if this is your own house or not, if not get the people out to fix it. let us know how this project went, others want to know, thanks,

barry

Old 03-17-06, 07:04 PM
There is a third type (other than half moon and square opening) which you see a kind of "tee" on it's side (old schlage, arrow US Lock) again using a screwdriver, put it in one of the cutouts and move away from dooredge, pulling latchbolt out of strikeplate. In all cases pushing in on door to release back pressure on latchbot.

Old 03-18-06, 05:28 PM
WGW
Actually georgegeeg, the "T" type you refer to is what I was describing as "metal fingers".
Schlage still uses this type of configuration in their medium and heavy duty knobsets.
All input is much appreciated though... that's what makes these boards a great place to visit when attempting a DIY project.

Regards

Old 03-22-06, 05:44 PM
the only thing that i wish, is when the problem is resolved by the poster that they would send it out,tell everyone, what fixed the issue. the info would help a lot of people who are just surfing.
just my opinion.

barry