Schlage F-Series/- Loose Handleset

Old 03-17-06, 12:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Schlage F-Series/- Loose Handleset

any suggestions on how to keep the small square bottom piece from becoming loose all the time...the piece is on the outside of the door.....THANKS!!!!

Old 03-17-06, 12:46 PM
S
Welcome to the forum sluggo63!

Sounds like you are talking about the bottom of the handleset that is attached via a screw through the door? If so, have you tried some thread locker such as Loc-tite?

Old 03-17-06, 01:26 PM
S
handleset

no, there is no screw that goes through the door...on the upper portion of the lock, yes..but not behind this square piece..........go to this link and scroll to the bottom....my handleset is the 3rd one in where it says "new".....it is the bottow square piece that is really loose

http://www.discountlockdepot.com/fseries.htm

thanks...

Old 03-17-06, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by sluggo63
no, there is no screw that goes through the door...on the upper portion of the lock, yes..but not behind this square piece..........go to this link and scroll to the bottom....my handleset is the 3rd one in where it says "new".....it is the bottow square piece that is really loose

http://www.discountlockdepot.com/fseries.htm

thanks...
Hi Sluggo, Again, welcome to the board. There should be a screw through the door to hold the bottom of the handle. As far as the little square piece is concerned, you are going to have to remove the handleset from the door. Look on the inside of the little square base, see if there isn't a small screw holding it tight. If there is a screw there, that's what holds it.

Did you install the handleset? They usually have extra screws included. Maybe there was a long screw, about 2 1/2" long, in with the installation hardware. This is the screw for that bottom part of the handle, and it requires a hole drilled through the door. By using that screw, you can hold the bottom of the handle, and the little square base at the same time.

So, that's two ideas. One is a fix of the loose part, the other for a completion of the installation. As a working locksmith, I see alot of different things, so don't feel bad. Usually, mistakes are made buy trying to do things too quickly. After 15 years, I still review instruction sheets. Odd things are natural, as I'm sure others will attest to.

Let us know what you find. And if you have more questions, we are here.

cuedude

Old 03-17-06, 04:49 PM
S
Hello again sluggo. If you do not have the instructions, schlage.com has install instructions and templates available. They cover a few different models so the picture may not be exactly like your lock, this is for the Camelot and shows the screw going through the door at the bottom of the handle that we believe is the problem.

http://consumer.schlage.com/products/pdfs/HS_p515-444-a%20F300-Series%20and%20UL%20IS.pdf

Old 03-20-06, 09:29 AM
S
schlage f series

thanks so much for all the great ideas!! greatly appreciat you taking the time!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: