Pick-proof locks

Old 03-19-06, 07:27 PM
Question Pick-proof locks

I've had my garage doorlock picked, the bldg illegally entered and some tools stolen a couple of times recently. The lock that's on there now is a standard cheapo thing that I'd like to replace with something that's pick-proof or, at least, very difficult to pick. Can I buy such a lock at a reasonable price? And, if so, what product(s) would you recommend?

Also, I just bought a Schlage Grade 2 lockset for my house that includes both a double-keyed deadbolt lock and a conventional doorknob lock. It's advertised as being "pick-resistant" but I'm not sure how reliable it would be. If there's anyone out there who's familiar with these locks, could you kindly give me your opinion on it. And any suggestions on better alternatives would be an even bigger help.

Any help here will be very much appreciated.

I just found this site and registered tonight--look forward to visiting it from now on.

Thanks up front!!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 03:53 AM
Hi Bob, welcome to the board. Not being able to see your garage door, I recommend you pay a visit to your local locksmith. Have him come out and evaluate the situation. Garage doors, for the most part, are fairly easy to get past. But they can be strengthened. Are you sure the lock is being picked? Most people don't know how to pick a lock. And what you see on tv and in the movies, doesn't depict the methods required. Can the door be opened any other way? There are several tools out on the market, supposedly for locksmiths only, that can gain entry into a garage door within seconds if used properly. I'm not telling you all this to scare you or anything, just to make you aware that your local locksmith is more than a lock servicer. He deals with alot of different situations on a daily basis, and garage doors is just one small part of the big picture. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes?

cuedude

Old 03-20-06, 04:51 PM
WGW
Welcome to the DIY boards seclock;

As cuedude said, you'd best check the whole door and frame to be sure that its the lock that's being picked and not a weakness somewhere else.
Do you presently have a deadbolt or knobset? Deadbolts offer far more protection.
So far as a lock being advertised as "pick resistant", just about any manufacturer can make that claim depending on how they are defining "pick resistance".
In the 17 or so years that I've been Locksmithing I have never attended a breakin where I was convinced that a lock had been picked to gain entry.
Usually on close inspection another weakness is discovered that the owner was'nt aware of.
But if you are set on upgrading the quality of your deadbolt, there are a number of high security deadbolts available. Medeco is probably the most mentioned and most common over all.
Of course, with high security comes higher price but as with most things you get what you pay for.
No lock manufacturer will claim to be "pick proof" because though there is very little chance in picking a high security lock, nothin is absolute.

You mentioned buying a double cylinder deadbolt.
Just be sure that a key is left in the inside cylinder when ever someone is at home. In the event of a fire or some other emergency, you sure don't want to have to search for your keys before you can safely get out of your house.
Also, you might want to ask your home insurance company their position on double cylinder deadbolts as many frown on their use.

Regards

Old 03-21-06, 03:02 PM
if you have a man door to get out that has a good lock on it you could use a pair of vise grip model 10wr clamped to rail just above a the second or third roller up from the floor on each side of your door. this will stop the door from going anywhere. this is how i lock my garage when i travel...just remember if you have an electric opener. which im guessing you don't on the door your speaking of (openers make good locks too) to unplug your opener so as not to tear up your door or opener if you forget to remove the vise grips

Old 04-01-06, 09:40 PM
tux
Originally Posted by WGW
Welcome to the DIY boards seclock;

As cuedude said, you'd best check the whole door and frame to be sure that its the lock that's being picked and not a weakness somewhere else.
Do you presently have a deadbolt or knobset? Deadbolts offer far more protection.
So far as a lock being advertised as "pick resistant", just about any manufacturer can make that claim depending on how they are defining "pick resistance".
In the 17 or so years that I've been Locksmithing I have never attended a breakin where I was convinced that a lock had been picked to gain entry.
Usually on close inspection another weakness is discovered that the owner was'nt aware of.
But if you are set on upgrading the quality of your deadbolt, there are a number of high security deadbolts available. Medeco is probably the most mentioned and most common over all.
Of course, with high security comes higher price but as with most things you get what you pay for.
No lock manufacturer will claim to be "pick proof" because though there is very little chance in picking a high security lock, nothin is absolute.

You mentioned buying a double cylinder deadbolt.
Just be sure that a key is left in the inside cylinder when ever someone is at home. In the event of a fire or some other emergency, you sure don't want to have to search for your keys before you can safely get out of your house.
Also, you might want to ask your home insurance company their position on double cylinder deadbolts as many frown on their use.

Regards

A few other things to keep in mind:

combination garage door openers are a good choice, if the combo is comprimized it can easily be changed.

If you have a locksmith rekey or change the lock ask for a key biting that is more aggressively staggered ( 77887 for example). It's slightly harder to pick. At the same time ask him to drop a few spool pins in to.

Most break-ins occur by unskilled "robbers" they do not want to take the time to learn how to pick, why would they when their are easier ways in? A deadbolt is always pickable but chances of your locks being picked are slim to none. Even "high security" locks are not all that hard to pick but those with such a skillset would rather make much more money at much lower risk being a locksmith.

The grade of locksets is based on a series of tests done by ANSI (American National Standards Institute). These tests determine the durability and level of security protection of the lock. Grade 2 is the best residential grade lockset. This is probably the reason they advertise as "pick resistant". Their are several Grade 2 locksets in the Schlage product line so I can't comment any further on that without knowing the exact product.

Old 04-03-06, 04:16 PM
WGW
Actually Tux, a key bitting such as 77887 would likely be picked within a few seconds simply by "raking" the pins.
For Schlage I'd suggest that a better bitting might be 28393 so depths are staggered as wide apart as allowed by the manufacurer specs. Spool drivers as you suggest would certainly offer a little more protection from picking as well.
But I would challenge your statement that "high security locks are'nt all that hard to pick". If you know of a reliable method for picking high security locks, I'd be grateful if you'd share it via a PM

Regards

Old 04-03-06, 06:19 PM
tux
Originally Posted by WGW
Actually Tux, a key bitting such as 77887 would likely be picked within a few seconds simply by "raking" the pins.
For Schlage I'd suggest that a better bitting might be 28393 so depths are staggered as wide apart as allowed by the manufacurer specs. Spool drivers as you suggest would certainly offer a little more protection from picking as well.
But I would challenge your statement that "high security locks are'nt all that hard to pick". If you know of a reliable method for picking high security locks, I'd be grateful if you'd share it via a PM

Regards
You are correct about the biting I mentioned, it was late when I posted and wasn't paying attention, I should have gave an example of a more staggard biting. That biting should have been an example of a flat biting (what not to do) but none the less my statement of asking for a more aggressively staggered biting is still valid just ignore the biting example.

I have PM'd you as requested WGW.

Old 04-04-06, 07:33 AM
See this website for garage door lock h/w

********** sells residential hardware and has garage door rim cylinders as well as schlage hardware. they only accept orders online but can answer questions by telephone.

Moderator note: Advertising is not permitted in the DIY Forums.

Last edited by WGW; 04-05-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Digital Lock's

You should try going digital.

Moderator note: Advertising not permitted.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-08-06 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-18-06, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by WGW
What brands/types of high security locks do you want to pick?

Old 07-19-06, 04:48 PM
WGW
Attempting to pick high security locks is a waste of the customers time and money. So to answer your question..all of them, but I'm not that good.

Regards

Old 07-20-06, 09:52 AM
Having lived and worked in the locksmith trade in many and varied parts of the world....I can only honestly say I have only ever seen 3 brands of locks that are unable to be picked, successfully and repeatedly.

They are Abloy Protec, Bilock and Brahma.

Virtually all others have been picked repeatedly and there are even video freely available on youtube showing them done.

There is even a company called TOOOL that all they do is spend time to de-myth the alledgedly "pick-proof" locks theory.
To date no one has succesfully proven the above mentioned locks are able to be picked.