Help with an old Corbin Lockset?

Old 04-17-06, 12:43 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with an old Corbin Lockset?

Hi I am new to this forum and not very handy at all, but I had a Corbin brand door knob that was stuck and very old (I have been in this house 11 years and it was old when I bought the house) so I thought I would take it upon myself to remove it. I took off the strikeplate and latch assembly and tried to get the door knob loosened, but there didn't appear to be any button on the shaft to remove the knob. I now have tried to wrench the knob off (and tried to see if it had a thread to turn it the opposite way and get it off, and tried hammering it off etc., ... ) but that door knob won't budge!!! I can't get the rose off, I can't get the mounting plate off, I can't get the knob off, I can't get insides of the lockset (the cylindar) to come out, but now the knob is loose and wiggly but still won't come out of the door. Short of hacksawing through the shaft I don't know how to get the old door knob off so I can pull it out and replace it with a new one. I can't find any button to release the knobs and now I fear that I have pulled and pried and pounded and wrenched it so much that if there were a release it is long broken and I wouldn't be able to get it to release anything anyway. Is there something that can be done for me so I can get a new doorknob on the door?? Or do I have to get a new door as well (or hacksaw the old knob off)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Val

Old 04-17-06, 04:52 PM
W
WGW
Welcome to the DIY boards valdan3;

The inside rose on your Corbin knobset should have a hole in it. This hole does'nt go all the way through, but is used by a special Corbin wrench that will engage it to turn the rose clockwise. As the rose is turned you will notice the knob becoming more and more loose until the knob eventually comes off.
By your description the knobset is pretty well beaten anyway, so you can probably just use channel locks to turn the rose instead.
Once the knob is off, you will see a brass ferrel with two small black roll pins on the spindle and this too is threaded on. You should be able to unscrew that just using your fingers.
Once you're that far you'll be able to pull the outside knob and spindle out of the lock body and continue removing the lock body.

Hope that helps.
Though the above should solve your problem, Corbin did changed design a couple of times, and there are others out there. What I described is what is most commonly used.

We always appreciate feedback on results so others may learn as well.

Regards

Old 04-17-06, 06:42 PM
V
Thanks so much for your reply. That makes me feel very welcome to this forum as a first time poster. :-))

Since I am not really very handy I have what is probably a very silly question to ask - What is a "channel locks"? Is it some type of tool or something that I should purchase? I don't have a very extensive tool box (make that a very inadequate tool box - just a handful of old screwdrivers and a wrench or two).

I should mention that I have loosened the inside rose so that it can side a bit up and down on the shaft of the lockset and the mounting plate is also loose on the shaft (as well as the cylinder can be partially pushed out a ways of the wooden part of the door) - but I still can't get the knob off.

Can I ask something else (probably again a silly question) - is the hole on the rose on the underside of it (you know the part that faces the wood of the door and not the side that faces out into the room)? If it is supposed to be on the outside part - I don't really see anything. If it is in the inside part I don't have enough room between the large part of the knob and the mounting plate to take a clear look I think.

Hope you don't mind me asking for more advice... I really do appreciate any help you can give and once I find that hole and find out what a channel lock is, I will put your thoughtful advice to work.

Thanks in advance - hope to hear from you again.

-Val

Old 04-17-06, 06:59 PM
W
WGW
Channel locks are simply pliers that adjust to various sizes.
Vise Grips would do just as well. What you need is something to grip the rose.
The rose is the part between the knob and the door.
Assumming the lock was installed properly, you need to turn the inside rose clockwise to release the knob.

If that does'nt work, then perhaps you have another variation of Corbin.
Is there any way that you could post a picture of it?

Regards

Old 04-17-06, 07:55 PM
V
I'll try that tomorrow after work maybe (if I can get to the hardware store and get some vice grips). Thanks again for all your help. I'll be in touch to tell you how it turned out.

-Val

Old 04-23-06, 05:27 AM
V
Well, I finally got it out of the door! Actually my husband was trying to go go through the door and when he pulled on the outside knob it just fell off (I am imagining that all that twisting and pounding and turning that I did previously was the factor that made that knob fall off in his hand). After that I started turning the inside knob and when the outside rose came off the rest of the doorknob just pulled out. I have now bought a new door knob - but I found out that the hole for the latch to go through is one eighth of an inch too small in diameter. I guess I will have to go and get a drill and make it bigger. I'll do that today. I want to thank this list for helping me and being so patient and generous with their advice and knowledge.

Thanks.

If I have problems finding a drill and the right bit or drilling the whole - you might hear back from me... :-D

-Val

Old 04-25-06, 05:50 PM
W
WGW
Hi Val;
If it's the latch that is too big for the cutout in the door edge, then you will find it much easier to enlarge by using a hole saw instead of a drill bit.
If you have a variable speed drill, start out using a low speed and drill at a slight angle until the hole saw gets a bite, then you can speed things up to follow through.

Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: