What is this type of lock called??

Old 04-21-06, 05:04 AM
What is this type of lock called??

Just moved into a condo and want to change the lock. Have done this several times in the past with no problem. The lock on the current door is unusual in that the outside key cylinder is mounted on an 10" long 1/8" thick metal escutcheon.
There is no manufacturers name to be found.
The one key cylinder controls both the knob lock and the deadbolt.
The inside of the door has the same escutcheon housing the knob and the
deadbolt latch.

What is this type of integrated lock set up called in the industry??

Is it possible to change the key cylinder on this lock with a standard cylinder that would operate the locking mechanism that controls both the deadbolt and knob on this lock?
Thanks in advance!
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 06:22 PM
WGW
Hi mouln
Question; Is the actual key cylinder round, oval or tear drop shape?
I ask because from your description so far, it could be any one of many.
A lot of Condos install what ever is most cost effective at the time of construction. Sometimes even a "no name" brand made offshore.

Another possible way to identify the lock is by the numbers/letters on your key.

Regards

Old 04-21-06, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by mouln
Just moved into a condo and want to change the lock. Have done this several times in the past with no problem. The lock on the current door is unusual in that the outside key cylinder is mounted on an 10" long 1/8" thick metal escutcheon.
There is no manufacturers name to be found.
The one key cylinder controls both the knob lock and the deadbolt.

Could this be a duel activation plate on the inside? What I mean is, when you throw the latch on the deadbolt to the unlock position, does it also unlock the knob? As far as the plate on the outside, I've never seen anything like what you describe. Maybe it is another duel activating plate? And I know it as an intigrated lockset.

The inside of the door has the same escutcheon housing the knob and the
deadbolt latch.

What is this type of integrated lock set up called in the industry??

Is it possible to change the key cylinder on this lock with a standard cylinder that would operate the locking mechanism that controls both the deadbolt and knob on this lock?
Thanks in advance!
Jim
Sorry for the confusing reply, but I wanted to get your post quoted so I wouldn't miss something. As I know them as intigrated locksets, they are still just regular locks. Schlage makes the ones I'm familiar with. I've seen them in condo's and such, as a form of one motion egress incase of fire. Not the most attractive locksets though, but very practicle.

I hope WGW can give you more info on this one, as my experience here is limited.

cuedude