Stuck in door mortise lockset

Old 04-30-06, 06:19 AM
Stuck in door mortise lockset

Trying to diagnose excess play in the doorknob on a ~50 year old Lockwood double mortise lockset on exterior door. Have pulled off all inerior/exterior screws, doorknob w/split thingy, exterior handle, lock cylinder, all visible screws on lockplate, and the twisty thing for the deadbolt. Determined that the play is in the lockset itself. At this point I can't seem to get the lockset out. I assume its just in there pretty tight. So problem is how to get this out without butchering either the door or the lockset. Anticipating using pliers on the deadbolt and the other thingy (this thingy being the part the doorknob controls, don't know the name) and gently but firmly pulling out.

Would appreciate any advice concerning my situation. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-06, 11:07 AM
Similar, I think.

I just removed my doorknob which was installed in 1959. It sounds a lot like what you're talking about: no magic screws to simply remove, or slotted area to push, etc.

I ended up using (what I think is called) a 'channel lock' wrench. With the different slots you can put the handle in to make the squeezey-part a different size.

I pinched the part of the doorknob on the outside of the door, near the screw threads. Then I just kept turning the darn thing... nothing looked like it was happening, then magically, it fell off.

Maybe yours is like this?

Old 04-30-06, 01:51 PM
WGW
Hi Dave;
Sorry for the slow response.
It sounds like you have removed all that holds the lock body in the door already. So just try putting a long handled screw driver through the hole where your knob "split" spindle goes and use both sides of the screw driver to give the mortise box a good yank. That should loosen it up enough to finish pulling it out by hand and it avoids having to scuff up or bend the bolt and latch with pliers.

Regards

Old 04-30-06, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was able to put some channel lock pliers on the deadbolt and gave it a good straight pull and the guts popped right out.

Tomorrow evening will carefully disassemble the lockset -- planning to use digital camera as needed to take pix so I will be able to reassemble properly. It has screws on both the entrance and exit side, is there any advantage to starting on either side?

As said earlier, want to correct some play in the interior knob function (exterior is a handset with lever, I think you call it) which seems to originate in the lockset. I am kind of expecting some metal fatigue somewhere that maybe isn't repairable -- any opinions on this are appreciated.

In any event I can clean it out, and lubricate. Should I use oil (type?) or graphite for this?

Thanks.

Old 04-30-06, 05:27 PM
WGW
Hi again Dave;
Looking at the box edge you will be able to tell which side is the lid. I would only take out the screws located on the lid side to begin with. Screws on the box side likely hold in certain parts, and you don't want anything falling out before you've had a chance to take a good look at how things originally sat in there.
Beware of springs that may fly as soon as the box is cracked open too.
If it is a looseness in the knob function, then you'll likely find a worn actuator. About the only place that I think you might stand a chance of finding parts for a Lockwood mortise box would be a building demolition yard who may keep such things along with other old hardware for resale.

Graphite is good as a lubricant and a little goes a long way!
But a spray lube is much cleaner to work with.

Regards