brand new Schlage deadbolt won't let go of key

Old 05-19-06, 06:16 AM
brand new Schlage deadbolt won't let go of key

I just received 4 Schlage locksets and began installing them. The very first one gave me problems. I've installed hundreds of these things as incidental to my security steel work. Anyway, they are Grade II. The one that I had to skip for now still has the key stuck in the inside cylinder (double-cylinder) of the deadbolt. It will turn, assemble, disassemble, lock, unlock, everything except allow the key to be removed. What's not adjusted right?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-06, 08:20 AM
Typically this is either a timing issue or the tailpiece retainer is too loose. It has been awhile since I worked on one of these so there may be design changes I am not aware of .

If this has the lazy cam type of tailpiece, it may need a position adjustment. A sign of this is the key not being completly vertical, which it must be to be removed.

If the tailpiece retainer is loose or adjusted wrong, the pins will bind when trying to pull the key out. If this is the problem, you should be able to remove the key by pushing the cylinder in while pulling the key out. The retainer will then have to be adusted, typically needs to be tightened.

Old 05-20-06, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by schiejr

If the tailpiece retainer is loose or adjusted wrong, the pins will bind when trying to pull the key out. If this is the problem, you should be able to remove the key by pushing the cylinder in while pulling the key out. The retainer will then have to be adusted, typically needs to be tightened.
Hello,

Here's a little secret. When you tighten the retainer, tighten it all the way, then back it off one or two notches, until the spring loaded pin goes into place. It should then be just right.

cuedude

Old 05-20-06, 10:45 AM
You guys are both awesome. I had also gotten some instructions from the online place I bought the locks from. They said to tighten the thing one pin space at a time until it worked. Well I was several times into that when I remembered that I had asked the question here. I had noticed that it was getting some familiar clicks and looked like it was getting ready to be right.

So I tried the pushing in on the cylinder and the key came right out. But of course, the problem was still there. So then I tightened the things all the way and backed off two spaces. That was sure the quick way to fix it; it works great now.

Old 05-20-06, 02:13 PM
Thumbs up

Glad to hear we helped solve your problem!

Thanks also for posting your successful results-this helps others in the future who may be searching the archives with the same problem.