Stuck door bolt lock assembly

Old 05-29-06, 09:31 PM
Question Stuck door bolt lock assembly

I am replacing an old interior door knob and was able to remove the door knobs successfully.I removed the two screws on the door bolt lock assembly however I cannot remove the assembly from the door; It is a very tight fit and I am afraid I will split the door's wood; I attempted to wiggle the assembly but there is no give and the wood around the existing plate appears split. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by reginald46
I am replacing an old interior door knob and was able to remove the door knobs successfully.I removed the two screws on the door bolt lock assembly however I cannot remove the assembly from the door; It is a very tight fit and I am afraid I will split the door's wood; I attempted to wiggle the assembly but there is no give and the wood around the existing plate appears split. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello reginald46, and welcome to the board!

Before I can help you, I need a bit more information. Is this a mortis type of lock? Or is it a newer cylindrical type? (Mortise locks typically have knobs that mount on spindals, where cylindrical lock knobs mount on the lock body itself).

I'll be off to work in less than an hour, but there are many here than can help guide you through this.

cuedude

Old 05-31-06, 03:53 PM
Sounds to me like an old mortice lock....if the body of the lock will not move at all...and you are afraid you might damage the wood....you might be better off calling your local locksmith.

However, if you were to take a screwdriver and poke it through the spindle hole...you will be able to get two hands on the driver and then with some force pulling toward the edge of the door....it may loosen enough to allow a chisel or flat blade screwdriver between the face plate and the wood to lever it out.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-06, 04:57 PM
Talking Reply to cuedude

I guess it is a mortise type lock because it has the spindles. I really dont want to hire a locksmith because the door in question is just a storage closet in the hallway. . .it doesnt even house expensive stuff-just want to keep the kitties out and my Mom happy.

Old 06-03-06, 08:55 PM
Hi Again Reginald46,

I agree with globallocky. It is a simple matter to use a screwdriver through the spindle hole, and pulling toward the edge of the door. If the lock body is that tight in the door, it still may split. Not enough to reduce the integraty of the door, but it could splinter somewhat. I've never had to use a chisel or screwdriver to assist pry it out of the door. Mostly, they pop out once the mounting clears the opening. I hope all this helps you. Globallocky seems like he's got alot of experience behind him, so consider his answer as well.

cuedude