"antique" lock repair (only 2 parts ugh)

Old 06-21-06, 05:51 AM
"antique" lock repair (only 2 parts ugh)

I have an old style lock - I'm not sure if its considered a mortise lock - its square and does NOT go inside the door it attaches to the side.

Other then the latches there are only 2 moving parts, a small spring and a flat piece of metal that is V shaped.

I can't figure out where either of the parts goes - I'm to the point were I'm considering changing the door - but it is a custom size/width and would be really costly.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 07:03 AM
Sounds like an old fashioned rim lock....you say there are only 2 moving parts... is there a keyhole and a locking bolt?

Is there a spindle hole (for a handle to operate the latch)?

The V shaped piece of metal sounds like the internal feather spring, which is designed to hold tension on the internal locking lever.

More info required...please?

Old 06-21-06, 07:29 AM
Sorry - my mistake - THere are several parts that remained in place when lock was dismantled I can't figure out where the 2 parts mentioned belong.

THere is a spindle hole for latch (with a piece of hardware for handle to go through which moves the latch). There is also a lock - but it appears is operational w/o these 2 parts.

I believe the small spring needs to be placed behind regular latch to allow the latch to open & close. I also think the "V" shaped metal is for tension, unfortunately there are no scratch marks in interior that would help me figure out where this was originally.

Sounds like an old fashioned rim lock....you say there are only 2 moving parts... is there a keyhole and a locking bolt?

Is there a spindle hole (for a handle to operate the latch)?

The V shaped piece of metal sounds like the internal feather spring, which is designed to hold tension on the internal locking lever.

More info required...please?

Old 06-25-06, 11:49 AM
Check out this site and tell me if it resembles anything similar please?

http://www.eddonaldson.com/rimlocks4.htm#rim thumbnail 1