Is there a special tool for removing Dexter dbl. cylinders?

Old 07-21-06, 07:51 AM
Is there a special tool for removing Dexter dbl. cylinders?

I was hoping to get the answer I need to replace a dbl. cylinder deadbolt that I first must take off the door. I've solved my share of problems in the past...but this one has me perplexed.
It appears that where the two machine screws would be on most other locks ( on the face of one cylinder on the inside of course) there is something a bit different. To me it looks like the "holes" are there where they should be...only the screws aren't from this world. It looks like a small ball bearing is imbedded in the center with some kind of locking clip or washer around it. Is this a special fastner that requires a special tool?
Is it possible that some clever idiot welded half a BB in each hole on top of the screws? HELP????????? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 08:14 AM
In some cases, some manufacturers include small mushroom shaped plugs to cover the connecting screw holes.

These plugs are usually knurled (have rads on them) to hold them in the face holes.

You can ususlly remove them quite easily with a knife or chisel.

There will be allen key connecting screws inside the holes...about 7/64 i think.

Old 07-21-06, 02:23 PM
thank-you so much.

That was my hunch, however I didn't want to chew up something that I couldn't remove easily. I truly thank-you for your prompt reply and knowledge.