How do I remove lock so I can get it re-keyed?

Old 08-05-06, 12:27 PM
How do I remove lock so I can get it re-keyed?

I want to have my garage door re-keyed, and I'm told all I have to do is take the lock to Home Depot and they'll do it. But how do I remove the lock? I've got photos of the outside and inside of the lock:
Lock Outside: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/IMG_06261.jpg
Lock Inside: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/IMG_06251.jpg
I see four screws around plate on the inside of the door, and, while it seems likely that I'll need to remove them, I want to be sure first, as the spring assembly is attached there. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-06, 05:13 PM
WGW
Hi eddieo45;
Looking at your pictures, I'd suggest you use needle nose pliers to get hold of the spring and remove it first (of course you'll have to loosen the screw it sits under).
Then take out the 4 visible screws.
Under that, you should see 2 more screws that hold the "rim cylinder" in the door. Take those out and then you can remove the rim cylinder for rekeying.
Unless you are particularly attached to the old cylinder, you can probably replace it with a new one at close to the same cost of rekeying.
This would be a good opportunity to lubricate all the lock parts while you have them apart too.
Hope that helps.

Regards

Old 08-07-06, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the reply; I have no attachment to the old cylinder, and, in fact, my goal is simply to have this lock open with the same key that opens the other doors in my house. I'll bet that's just as easy to do with a new cylinder as the old, so I'll probably do just that. Thanks again.

Old 08-17-06, 11:22 AM
ejmeier
Visiting Guest
The key types also have to match. IE - you can't rekey a Schlage lockset to match a Kwikset lock. Not sure what kind of lock you have, but usually you can just tell from the shape of the key's head itself.

If you aren't buying the same/compatible type of lock, you might as well replace the whole thing.

Old 08-18-06, 10:20 AM
Sorry ejmeier,
you are obviously not a locksmith. one can tell from the picture that it is a schlage type cylinder.

it is possible to purchase another brand of cylinder even with a different keyway that will still operate the lock.

irrespective, if someone wants to have different brands of locks keyed alike...it is possible using third party cylinder manufacturers.

Unfortunately Kwikset and Weiser are two brands that nobody cares about because they are the cheapest and poorest quality (contrary to opinion) so usually third parties dont make cylinders to fit them. The cost of supplying cylinders for those two brands would be at least 3-5 times the original retail cost of the products

Old 08-18-06, 10:23 AM
One more thing....locksmiths dont rely on the shape of the head in order to determine the type of key.

We determine this by looking at the profile....also known as "the broaching"

Old 08-18-06, 11:18 AM
ejmeier
Visiting Guest
Hehe, I remember one time when we went to rekey a Schlage deadbolt - supposedly brand new off the shelf - and it turned out it was an old Kwikset someone had put in there. Someone had bought the Schlage, swapped their old deadbolt, and then returned it back to the store.

No, I am by no means a locksmith - but I still feel my point above is valid. In the original post, they said they were taking it to THE HOME DEPOT, so I'm fairly sure that the lock types would have to match for them to be able to perform the rekey. I know that is the case w/ Menard's.

Maybe they should just take it to a locksmith instead...

Old 08-18-06, 11:50 AM
I wont agrue the point there....and yes you are somewhat correct altho...

Stanley Dexter, Weiser, Weslock, Kwikset and a few other brands are able to be keyed alike even though they are different brands.

Just because one manufacturer uses a particular profile (broaching) doesnt mean someone else cant use an identical or very similar profile too.

Take Sclage for example.....Boyd is another company that produces exactly the same profiles and identical products as Schlage...only considerably less expensive.

Old 08-20-06, 05:21 PM
I'm happy to have this expert dialogue in my thread (not that I get all of it), and I did take the cylinder to a local locksmith last week just before going away. He ordered a new lockset that he can key to my Kwikset key for $24, which is fine by me. Again, I just ultimately want one key to open my front, back, garage, and cellar doors. (now, if Kwikset was in some way a bad choice that my carpenter made, that's another story).

Last edited by eddieo45; 08-22-06 at 09:54 AM.